free website stats program Throttle/Idle Cable Replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Throttle/Idle Cable Replacement

King2006

I'm replacing all my cables with braided cables. I've replaced the clutch (had to remove entire exhaust system - was not able to use Glider's suggestion of cutting an Allen Key - too tight). Now I'm looking to replace the Throttle/Idle Cable's. Looks like I have to remove the gas tank.

Anyone have experience doing this. Any tips/advice etc.?

Comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

James

Your best bet is to remove the tank. It's close under there and you don't want the cables to bind up if not in the right position.

Drain the tank completely to mqake it easier. While you have it off it's a good thing to clean it out well too, maybe put fresh fuel back in too. Use what's in there now in your lawn mower etc.

. . .. .. . Use what's in there now in your lawn mower etc.

Or the snowblower to get the snow into the street so it melts quicker :lolrolling Boy Geez really exposed a good one on that.

Sorry King2006, it's a private joke I couldn't resist. Nothing to do with you.
If you do a search for tank lifts, you should be able to find a detailed description of all the tips on tank removal and also partial removal slide back.
Good luck with it.

Or the snowblower to get the snow into the street so it melts quicker :lolrolling Boy Geez really exposed a good one on that.

Quick RWB he should owe you a pork chop for that ..:newsmile100::newsmile100::newsmile100:

Great, thanks. Will do.

Searched it down for you. I pasted below, you can use any method you wish to keep the gas from draining everywhere, the method below is not fool proof but have done it once with minimal spillage. I also used a big funnel once, just kinda flexed it in there, had a bit of trouble holding it. If you have a little push button mileage thing on your speedo they ususally have a rubber cover that just pops off and then you unscrew the outside to let the inside come loose. I tape or tie all wires etc to the bars so they stay out of the way. Run the bike down close to empty and then if possible siphon or pump some out still in there. Then start the drainage proceedure AFTER engine and exhaust has totally cooled.
---paste from previous post
If you want to remove the tank, yes first remove the fuel pump fuse. Remove speedo (disconnect all electrical connectors and set speedo aside somewhere). Then get a towel and wrap around the disconect on the fuel line coming out of the left rear bottom of the tank. The push up on the connector and pull down on the bottom half. It will spray fuel into the towel for just a second. Then on the left bottom of tank up towards the front there is the fuel gauge electrical connector. Separate it. Then comes the really awkward part. I always siphon or pump my tank as empty as I can get it. Put a dry towel over your rocker covers. Then I get two of those big clear rubber flex tubes (like you see at Home Cheapo) about 1" diameter, about 3ft long. I get a gas can and stick the bottom of these 2 flex tubes in the can. If they won't stay in use duct tape. Then loosen the clamp on one side of the tank crossover hose. Grab the other ends of the 2 rubber flex tubes in you left hand and then with your right hand remove the one end of the crossover hose. Quickly (since gas is pouring out onto the towel) stick the open end of the crossover hose in one of the flex tubes and stick the other flex tube over the exposed tank bibb. Hold while fuel drains. Then you can remove tank.

Back