free website stats program Throttle Grip not moving....at all | Harley Davidson Forums

Throttle Grip not moving....at all

Amish Hawg

Contributor
'03 RKC, 36k

cleaning and overall inspection in the bike this weekend.

Started right up and i put her in her parking spot. Shut her off.

Sat for 30 seconds and decided i wanted to ride. Tried starting her and the throttle grip will not move at all.

Grips are over 4 years old and putting new ones on next week.....Im thinking the bike is telling me its time for grips........

Am I thinking right or am I needing to look deeper? No cable issues that i can see.

You can get new grips if you want to. It does not sound like grips to me. Since you can't get rotation, I would remove the throttel and switch assembly. Once the cables are free, trace cable freedom all the way to the throttle body. During this process you are likely to see what the problem is. If not, you may find that the problem associated with the butterfly valve in the throttle body.

Good luck,
Rich P

Thanks, i'll start the troubleshooting when back from traveling this week.

One thing I did not mention.......over the past week/two weeks.....when i started the bike, i felt a slight "click" when throttling on the start. I say click meaning a slight, immediate resistance.

Another round in getting to know the bike better.

Thanks again.

Sounds liker a throttle cable broke and got jammed up

I don't mean to get preachy, but don't ride the bike until you are POSITIVE that you found and fixed the throttle problem. I would miss you here.

Well, I popped open the housing and got the cables freed. I still couldn't get the throttle cable to move. I traced it back to the throttle body. Ribeye, you are onto something. The butterfly wouldn't budge. I put a little push to it and it popped open. Where the cables attach, I couldn't see any issues. That plate that turns the butterfly wouldn't move either. I could see the throttle cable trying as I pulled it. It was like that assembly was stuck. No major buildup.

Cable routing fine. Cleaned it out a little. Can't get it to duplicate. New grips on. Took her a little spin around the block. Parked it, rode again. All is well. I hope.

80 and sunny tomorrow. I'm hitting the harley shops so I'll be close if something burps again. Believe me, I'll ask y'all if something comes up.

Y'all have a great weekend.

Well, I popped open the housing and got the cables freed. I still couldn't get the throttle cable to move. I traced it back to the throttle body. Ribeye, you are onto something. The butterfly wouldn't budge. I put a little push to it and it popped open. Where the cables attach, I couldn't see any issues. That plate that turns the butterfly wouldn't move either. I could see the throttle cable trying as I pulled it. It was like that assembly was stuck. No major buildup.

Cable routing fine. Cleaned it out a little. Can't get it to duplicate. New grips on. Took her a little spin around the block. Parked it, rode again. All is well. I hope.

80 and sunny tomorrow. I'm hitting the harley shops so I'll be close if something burps again. Believe me, I'll ask y'all if something comes up.

Y'all have a great weekend.
Butterfly valves in induction modules have manifested problems with their shafts breaking. In any case, you have a problem with your throttle sticking. Until you have completely disassembled the associated mechanism and inspected and lubed it, I would not trust it to ride. The results could be fatal. Your ride...you decide.

Rich P

Butterfly valves in induction modules have manifested problems with their shafts breaking. In any case, you have a problem with your throttle sticking. Until you have completely disassembled the associated mechanism and inspected and lubed it, I would not trust it to ride. The results could be fatal. Your ride...you decide.

Rich P

+1 on what RibEye is saying!

Let the teardown begin!! I could feel that's what I need to do.

I got time, the weather will be back. Thanks

Back