free website stats program Throttle free play | Harley Davidson Forums

Throttle free play

ProF

This is on my 03 RG. It's new to me so I'm not yet familiar with all the quirks of the newer Geezer Glides. I'm thinking that there might be a problem here, though.

I just noticed today that the free play in the throttle grip sometimes varies from very little (which it's adjusted to be) to an almost 90 degree arc. Snapping the grip didn't seem to make any difference one way or the other - it would "fix" itself after a few pulls regardless of what I did. Mostly I noticed it when decelerating, or coasting. When accelerating, it would go back to "normal."

While stopped and the bike turned off, I snapped the throttle several times and could hear a definite slap of metal on metal when letting go of the grip, and the "feel" of the grip did not suggest any binding. But even stopped and off, the grip would sometimes go to the "lots of free play" condition, then go back to "normal" after a few snaps.

Is this something peculiar to FI bikes? I had been using the Cruise Control earlier...would the CC switch be involved here?

The bike accelerated smoothly and letting off of the grip caused what felt like a normal closing of a throttle; there was no jerking or hesitating like you might expect with a stuck cable.

The feeling is, strangely, kinda subtle, in that I can't even say that I've noticed it before or not. Maybe it's always been there.

Any ideas anyone?

According to the records the previous owner gave me, about 2500 miles ago. With what, I don't know. But it was by a Harley shop. He had the bike serviced religiously, and the throttle seems very smooth to me.

My 95 has an adjusting screw underneath the throttle to control the amt of return ... Does the 03..

Just a thought

My 95 has an adjusting screw underneath the throttle to control the amt of return ... Does the 03..

Just a thought

I think you're referring to the throttle lock, the "poor man's cruise control". Mine has electronic cruise control, and doesn't have the adjusting screw.

In any case, there doesn't seem to be the slightest sticking when the grip is turned. It's free and smooth.

Back