Throttle Cable

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by Two Lane Tramp, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Two Lane Tramp

Two Lane Tramp Member

I looked in the self help tips for throttle cable and did not find one. I have only broken one once, but a friend had one snap on a run and we had to trailer his bike home. Seems to me for 20 bucks I might just throw one in the saddle bag. I would love more input and opinions on cables longevety and maintenance.
  2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

If it were me and servicing my own bike, I would lube cables at oil change intervals.
    This may help.
    Click on link: Harley Davidson Community
  3. glider

glider Veteran Member

It's good preventive maintenance to lube the cables at the very least once a year for best longevity.
  4. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Due to previous experiences with older British twins it was common practise to have a spare clutch cable secured to the clutch cable with tape for a quick swap when the clutch cable snapped and at least 1 spare throttle cable in place so if either one snapped i was ready for a quick swap over
    As old habits die hard i have a spare set of control cables in my right side saddlebag they are the correct length to fit either my softail custom or the dyna wide glide the wife rides however i have not needed any of them yet

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

If you ride a lot in the rain like I do go it more :s
  6. Dswartz

Dswartz Active Member

Where are you getting your cables? I just replaced mine and paid $140 for both. I see what you are saying about bringing along spare cables but you need to consider how much a pain changing cables on the side of the road can be. At the very least you have to raise up the tank for room to work, I actually just took mine off for the job. That's not an easy thing to do on the road.

The bottom line is anything can break and you cant possibly carry one of everything. If I were you I would follow others advice and lubricate often. With regular maintenance and visual inspections your chances of getting stuck on the road go down significantly.
  7. Two Lane Tramp

Two Lane Tramp Member

My cables are stock length and not braided, but you are right, they are 20 bucks apiece before tax. Yes a fix on the rode would be a pain. Thanks for the input.