free website stats program throttle cable replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

throttle cable replacement

buck01

Im replacing the throttle cable on my 06 RK. Do I have to drain the fuel tk. to do a partial tk. removal? I got 10 miles on a full tk. before the cable broke. also can i remove the supply quick connect with a full tk. I heard there is a check valve in the fitting.

I just replaced both of my throttle cables the pull & return cables on a full tank. With the seat off, I removed the tank bolt that is at the rear of the tank. Then I undid the two nuts at the lower front of the tank, and raised the tank as high and back as the crossover hose that is under the front of the tank would let me go. Once you have the adjustment nuts on the cables loosend to give you some slack, you can unhook the cables from the trottle-bodie and there is enuf room to remove and reinstall the cables. I have done this on my last two bike without draining the tank. Hope this will help.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!! :bigsmiley12:

Good info from Rhys. I tie some string to the end of the old cable, then to the new cable to help fish it back on the correct path. Also remember the tiny little wire clips that go on the throttle housing end of the cable. Hard to find if dropped.

Thanks a bunch, cables are off, waiting to get new ones tommorow

I was hesitant to remove the quick disconnect, I did so because the supply line is so short. This was stressful but the check valve did hold and little fuel came out. All that and the fuel tank just moved a little more , but now I Know. Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back