free website stats program Throttle cable hangup | Harley Davidson Forums

Throttle cable hangup

Lockandload

I have a Road King Standard EFI. My throttle cable is hanging up and it won't turn all the way and open up. I have chrome braid custom cables. Is there some way I can get into the EFI body to look around without taking the tank off or do I have to bite the bullet and take it to the Harley dealership? (Ka-ching!!!)

Welcome Lockandload, is there a chance the braided cables are the wrong ones for the year & model bike? I would take a look around the self help section, you might find some answers there. If you take the air cleaner off you should be able to reach where the cables hook in at and see if there's anymore travel in the lever the cables are not giving you.

When I installed my Aileron Grips, I adjusted the cables (not Braided kind), and found the manual instructions to be correct. I had a slight hang up when in the full right turn position. I would think an adjustment will take care of the problem you speak of along with Glider's suggestion.

Make sure that you have sufficient "slack" so that the push/pull cable setup is centered and does not bind when turning handlebards lock to lock...you should hear the throttle stop screw "tap" the stop when you turn off the throttle and when you open it wide full open.

BTW this is NOT meant to be an after the fact, but a sort of pre-DIYer tip; always check things and adjust as close to "normal" to establish starting point BEFORE you begin to change out parts like cables...so you can "rough" in the adjustment of the new components close before doing the final adjustments.

Back