Thoughts on types of oil

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by GimmeFuel, Nov 17, 2011.

1. GimmeFuel

GimmeFuel Member

A friend of mine recommended a full synthetic oil, 'Red Line'. Do you guys think it's really necessary to put a full synthetic in your machine?

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Being an air cooled motor...YES.

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Junior Member

Yes. Higher breakdown temperature and longer lasting lubrication than dino oil.

4. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

I've been running synthetic on my m/c engines since it was introduced to the market. Can't beat the added lubrication factors for air cooled machines. Recall using Amsoil in our Polaris free-air snowmobile back in mid 70's & that was the stuff to beat (at the time). Tank can get you a good deal...

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

6. HDSickness

HDSickness Banned

Why not use the best you can get? Just do not use Harley syn. try Mobil 1, Red Line or Amsoil 20/50.

7. pigrider

pigrider Active Member

I am a firm believer in synthetics ( other than Syn3 ). I used Amsoil for years and never had the first issue, so I'm not knocking Amsoil's produts at all, just got tired of haveing to order the stuff all the time and pay shipping costs. Maybe it's me just getting older & not wanting the hassle but I changed to M1 cause it's readily available to just walk in the store, pick it up, come home and change my oil.

8. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

We spend a lot of $$$$ on our bikes an do not think twice about it. So why not put the best oil available to us in our steeds and ride many uncompromised miles..

9. GimmeFuel

GimmeFuel Member

No argument here.

10. aron50

aron50 Member

I opt for Amsoil. Can get it from stores where I live, even if it is a couple $ per quart.