free website stats program Thoughts On Portable GPS's? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Thoughts On Portable GPS's?

Yes you can do that on the Tom Tom but it's nowhere near as good as Google or Mapquest. For one thing the screen is tiny!

Several additional things to watch out for...

1) Get the exact address & watch out for North & South embedded in the street name, think Salt Lake City where every intersection seems to be North or South 225th Street. :25:

2) You can get GPS turn by turn as left or right or more expensive... by street name. :newsmile026:

3) The fastest route is not necessarily the straightest, least turn path!:newsmile091:

4) If you get lost...do the un-Manly thing and ask someone nice for directions (if in New York City be prepared for a bit of course language or other uncivil behavior):s

Happy navigating...oh it saves a lot of aggravation between you and your significant other...:D

Last edited:
Seriously what happen to just riding with the wind? Deciding to go left or right, north, south ect... Cup holders, music, gps come on now...

Seriously what happen to just riding with the wind? Deciding to go left or right, north, south ect... Cup holders, music, gps come on now...

I guess you never ran out of gas. Scarey thing to leave a $20,000 bike in unknown country.

I hear you Merlyn, but your ride is one of those barco-lounger bikes :newsmile030:

I guess my Harley is one of the more '"Pedestrian Mounts"...hmmmm? :D

I purchased the Zumo 550 18 months ago. Went on line and did a price search and paid $600.00. My friends made fun of me until we almost ran out of gas and they had to follow me in unknown territory. The winning part was finding a hotel when it started raining and just beginning to get dark. Now while riding on long trips they ask me what's available to eat around here! SWEET :57:

well i have bit the bullet in readyness for touring Europe, and as i could not find the Zumo anywhere and it shows as discontinued on the website, i have bought the tomtom rider V2

Well I installed my Tom Tom that I have been using in our cars (encased in a aftermarket case w/ belt loop) on my Sporty.

I used a Kuryakin Accessory Handlebar Mount ($40) but it was for 7/8" bars (I will use this mount on my gals' scoot) so I used a old crash bar footpeg 1 1/4" mounting clamp I had in my parts drawer.

I also had to hardwire a Battery Tender cord ($6). Caution: Reversed polarity will result if you use it with your existing harness plug with fuse protected 7.5A) mated to a Harley cigar lighter for a "HD Bagger" ($18) and after 30 minutes with soldering iron, heatshrink tubing, wire rounting and test meter checking, it is all in...working this weekend YAY! :D

You got drawings for that? Or pictures? Or a really good explanaition?

I need to add a cigarette lighter (accessory plug) to the RK... but everyone is telling me to DRILL a hole in one of the side covers to mount it!!!

i like your idea better... use the battery tender cord, then connect a Lighter/ accessory to that (with the proper plug)... make it a velcro strap typ mount, tying it to the frame near the front of the bike. Plug in a GPS, or radio, or whatever. Remove everything when not in use. :)

You got drawings for that? Or pictures? Or a really good explanaition?

I need to add a cigarette lighter (accessory plug) to the RK... but everyone is telling me to DRILL a hole in one of the side covers to mount it!!!

i like your idea better... use the battery tender cord, then connect a Lighter/ accessory to that (with the proper plug)... make it a velcro strap typ mount, tying it to the frame near the front of the bike. Plug in a GPS, or radio, or whatever. Remove everything when not in use. :)

I used the HD logo covered cigar lighter accessory made for your RK or EG bagger, it uses the 4 mini-pin German plug with your bike. You can buy a Y cord with added 4 pin plugs so you can attach more than one accessory like electric vests and other goodies, using additional cigar lighter receptacle cords, a very clean design. In your case I would stick with the OEM Harley accessory without fancy improvizations :s

Since my Sportster is more "bare-bones" and has no such accessory option, I was kinda forced to do so, besides I have to put my hard earned EE degree to good use once in a while anyway. :newsmile021:

BTW The instructions that come with it want you to drill a single 7/8" hole for a clean OEM look installation with a template that shows you exactly where the hole is made. The Kuryakin $40 chrome mount looks nice, worked well for my Tom-Tom, is easy on & off, and less expensive than some of the $140 mounts I have seen elsewhere. :newsmile093:

You might want to take a look at a factory refurbished Garmin Street Pilot ... maybe a 2720, or a 2610. Both are waterproof and work well on a motorcycle. They can be had for under $200 and you can preprogram routes on your computer then download the routes to the GPS. I have the 2720 and it works great.

I use my Garmin 760 with the following mounting system and just plug into the fairing lighter socket. Never had a problem and it goes right back into the truck. I keep a ziplock baggie in my fairing puoch in case of a downpour.

GPS_Mount_17mm.JPG

Garmin_Nuvi_760_Bracket.JPG

Helm_11.JPG

Back