free website stats program Thoughts on Extended Service Warranty | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Thoughts on Extended Service Warranty

I'm w/Dr. D on this one...personally I never buy extended service plans...JMO.

I never said NOT to buy one - I just wanted to present both sides of the issue and show it's not exactly a black and white decision. I think they're an OK idea, I just wish they weren't so crazy expensive!

This is alot like an oil thread, asking opinions every one has one and a good case for and against. I think it is a personal choice that needs to be addressed by ones riding habits, funds and how much you will be willing to do to your bike on your own. Personally I ride my bike every day, I chose to not own a car, I do not like surprises, it gives me peace of mind, as a matter of fact I will be taking mine in next Tuesday for its 3rd front master cylinder and new front rotor and motor mount All on ESP:s

All the financial guru's say stay away from extended warranty plans. As has been said previously, they are very expensive and you may come out ahead by not having a warranty even if you have a problem. The dealership were I bought my bike adviced that if I purchased the extended warranty at time of purchase it was actually cheaper because the bike is "new". He explained that if you buy it later, you are purchasing a warranty on a "used" bike which will cost more. Not sure how accurate this info is because I turned down the extended plan. Anyway...just my two cents.

Not being able to do my own maintenance, I decided to buy an ESP for about $400 (including tires). It has more than paid for itself with a fried voltage regulator and a flat. Worked out well for me; but yes, I know, it is a money maker which means that I am in the minority.

If you do your own maintenance then I see no need for the ESP because you can often do the repairs much cheaper then using a mechanic. However, if your not mechanically inclined at all and have the dealer do all the work then the ESP might be a good idea.

As far as I'm concerned I dont like anybody touching my bike but me. I really dont trust the dealers. Even the best mechanics make mistakes. At least when I do it myself I know exactly what was done to it.

I got the extended warranty because I ride alot. I have a 2010 UC with over 40K on her so far. The first time in the shop for warrenty work paid for the extended warranty. New SE compsater (sp) new started parts, new stator. Cost me $50.00 for the hole repair job. I will probably get anothe extended warranty before this one runs out. Like I said I ride so its worth it to me.

Remember if you decide on getting the ESP from HD you can negotiate a cheaper price by doing a little dickering with the salesman, even when you don't buy the ESP at the time of the original purchase. I have the HD 5 year ESP and I figured that with all the electronics on the new bikes it would be a good investment and it also gives me peace of mind. I still have 3 1/2 years left on my ESP and I have used it once when my stator went out, the HD dealer also warrantied the SE engine compensator sprocket and the bill came to $689.49 and I only had to pay $50 out of my pocket. If you ride your bike a lot the ESP is money well spent IMO and if you do the math the ESP is real cheap, if you payed $1500 for the 5 year ESP it only costs you $25 a month & that is less then 2 tanks of gas.

================================================

I forgot to mention that if you decide to sell your bike the ESP is transferable to the new owner which is a great selling point, if the new owner doesn't want the ESP you will get a prorated refund from HD. Also the HD ESP has a Expense Reimbursement Package which give you $75 a day for a rental vehicle, $150 a day (up to $450) for meals and lodging, $200 for towing to a HD dealership. Great peace of mind when on a road trip IMO. :s

================================================

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it makes sense on a used bike, mine has more than paid for itself already. You like to think you know you are buying a good bike, but it is still a gamble.

i purchased an extended warranty when i bought this ultra. it was not a HARLEY-DAVIDSON factory warranty and was only valid at the dealership where i purchased the bike. i canceled it after poor service and a damaged bike. i got less than half back and it was supposed to kick in at the end of the original warranty (which in mho is totally worthless). do yourself a tremendous favor an follow advice on this forum.

Back