free website stats program Thought before you go | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Thought before you go

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm still behind times, I tell my wife I'm goin' for a ride, back about XX.
If she goes with me, nobody knows where we are or when to expect us back.
Nobody would know if we didn't come home for days.
I finally got a cell phone, but seldom turn it on. I should be more proactive about it,,,, but,,,,, maybe next ride.

That is like us. If we have a destination in mind we eventually end up there. I prefer the lesser traveled roads and sometimes have to pull out the GPS to find out where we are.:D I use the interstate only as a necessary evil.

It would also be good to keep ICE numbers and information in your wallet, in case your cell isn't working for some reason.

In light of the recent missing biker post>>> Rider missing since Sept. 4th - Harley Davidson Community , it got me thinking.

When folks go on day trips, weekenders, or longer tours, what information is available to family and friends in case of trouble?
How would someone know where you were in that case? Do you tell anyone your basic travel plan before you leave? Do you leave a map of your planned route? Do you call-in to family and friends along the way? Do you communicate trough the internet (forums, twitter, facebook, my space, etc.) as you go? Would anyone know where to look or how? Are there "tools" or safety equipment available to help you be found?

There are some things I do before a ride, but I was curious about what others do. I'm sure there are many great ideas to share.

Please let me apologize for posting the wrong link in that post.

Here is the correct link: Search for Donald Masters (Discussion-only) - ST-Owners.com Forums

ride safe

Please let me apologize for posting the wrong link in that post.

Here is the correct link: Search for Donald Masters (Discussion-only) - ST-Owners.com Forums

ride safe

Thanks for the updated link.

If you have not followed the link to the ST forum, Don has been missing over 2 weeks now.

I noticed that on the ST forum the searchers are going to use "SPOT" equipment. Out of curiosity I Googled it. It looks like a pretty useful piece of equipment. Heres the link >> SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE

I will say what direction I am heading or if there is a planned route will leave details, have my phone with me and call if its going to be later than expected.

Smokintoad, good post, and I like most old-timers have been way too lax here. While I do carry ICE materials in my vest or jacket and a cell phone (since 1994 anyway), I still only do a call periodically if I am solo when I gas up or every other time to be sure. And yes I do give a general destination, but have taken the non Interstate path just because I can, which is really not smart, more of a habit really, as I am rather u-h-h "impulsive" when I travel...! Now that I have a TOM-TOM GPS I am a little more knowledgeable regarding travel planning, hopefully give me a little more meaningful behavior.

Last edited:
Donald was found on 9-20-09

This is from the ST Owners Forum;

It is with a heavy heart that I bring you the news.

Donald Masters has been found at a crash site on Rt 93 around mile marker 322.1 between North Fork, ID and Salmon, ID

Donald and his bike were spotted by Elk hunters that were out tracking a buck. There was about 150' of shoulder and then a steep drop off into a drainage irrigation ditch. The are was covered in thick brush. He was wearing his helmet.

Out of respect to the family and loved ones we will be closing this thread and creating a Memorial Page to Donald where you can share some kinds words with everyone.

My thoughts and Prayers are with the family.

Rest in Peace Donald Masters.
Larry Jensen
on behalf of the Motorcycle Community

Memorial thread Donald Masters - R.I.P. - ST-Owners.com Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back