free website stats program Those alu fork legs.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Those alu fork legs....

I really do love the looks of my RK.
Just one thing is a pain in the (edit)
Those alu front forks.
Looking like (edit)
Nothing seems to get the pitting and discolouring away.
Polishing?
Helps just a bit.
Anyone got the solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fork tubes can be made to look very nice. You'll get out of it, what you put into it. Strip all of the factory coating off and sand and polish until you are satisfied. I started with 320 grit sandpaper and went to 2000, then polished with aluminum polish. It took a full afternoon to do both legs. Removing wheel and fender made it easier to do a thorough job. I spend about 30 minutes, once a year to keep them nice. I also did my brake rotors. Polished legs and rotors.jpg Polished legs n rotors.jpg Polished legs and rotors.jpg Polished legs n rotors.jpg

I used a water soluble gel paint stripper to remove the lacquer then polished using a course then fine polishing compound you can then use French chalk for an ultra fine finish cover with a wax polish to protect the finish reapply a thin layer of wax regularly

Brian

Fork tubes can be made to look very nice. You'll get out of it, what you put into it. Strip all of the factory coating off and sand and polish until you are satisfied. I started with 320 grit sandpaper and went to 2000, then polished with aluminum polish. It took a full afternoon to do both legs. Removing wheel and fender made it easier to do a thorough job. I spend about 30 minutes, once a year to keep them nice. I also did my brake rotors. View attachment 17649 View attachment 17650 View attachment 17649 View attachment 17650
Yours look great! I took the lazy way out and replaced them with the chrome ones.

I took mine apart and took them to my local LineX bedliner guy. I taped off everything I didnt want coated and he sprayed them with the black bedliner spray with a shiny finish. All I do now is wash the bike as usual. I spend zero time on the fork legs.

Attachments

• IMAG0072 (2).jpg
    IMAG0072 (2).jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back