free website stats program Thorough Oil Change | Harley Davidson Forums

Thorough Oil Change

Bikergeek

Since the '08 Heritage has an oil tank and oil runs through oil lines, oil pump, etc. into the engine, how does one really get all the old dirty oil out of the engine during an oil change? I have read elsewhere there is additional 1/2 qt. of oil within the engine and oil lines that should/could be removed during an oil change.

How do you get out all the oil within the engine? Is there another drain plug located on the engine that will help drain the remaining oil?

Any help on getting out all the oil is appreciated.

In my opion thats overkill,unless you run inferior oil or dont change it when your supposed to that little bit left in there doesnt hurt a thing..

In my opion thats overkill,unless you run inferior oil or dont change it when your supposed to that little bit left in there doesnt hurt a thing..

+1 Texas. I think that's borderline obsessive. However, there are people making good money selling devices to do this.

What if you're going to a different type of oil??? Will the 3 new qts. mix ok with the old 1/2 qt. thats still in there??? (e.g. non syn to syn)

It amazes me how people get about oil,it probably is not a bad idea to scavenge all the old oil out but IMO its not neccesary,I like the comment someone made here a few years ago.(after reading the oil threads on the forum I decided not to use any)...LOL...

+1 Texas. I think that's borderline obsessive. However, there are people making good money selling devices to do this.

Call me Obsessive then, because in my way of thinking... why leave 25% of dirty oil in your bike at an oil change? If you check out Glider's detail on the "complete Oil change" you can do this with a minimum investment... 2.5' of 3/8" clear line & a worm clamp, & the oil line removal tool. My bike's worth the extra 10-20mins of my time...

Call me Obsessive then, because in my way of thinking... why leave 25% of dirty oil in your bike at an oil change? If you check out Glider's detail on the "complete Oil change" you can do this with a minimum investment... 2.5' of 3/8" clear line & a worm clamp, & the oil line removal tool. My bike's worth the extra 10-20mins of my time...

Call me obsessive too along with Harry. I did it every oil change.:D

I will do this on my next oil change. It looks very simple to do and doesn't require a big investment to do so. :bigsmiley12:

Back