free website stats program This is a tough one to describe | Harley Davidson Forums

This is a tough one to describe

bobbeidel

I have a 2006 Road King with EFI, cruise, etc. When I down shift into say
3rd or 4th and begin to feel the engine braking and start to slow down, it feels like the engine braking stops (almost feels like it comes our of gear, but doesn't).. Is this normal?? Is this some kind of design feature to tell you to downshift to the next gear. Didn't notice this on my 2001 Road King.

Any thoughts on this??

Thanks,

Bob

It should continue engine breaking until you shift again. Possible the clutch needs an adjustment and is slipping.

My 09 does it too, but it's very short term and I feel it more in the lower gears at about 1100 rpm. I always figured it was the IDS or compensator unloading, but your 05 don't have a IDS?????

mine to its like compression goes away as i let off the throttle starts engine breaking then starts to a freewheel feeling

There's a feature incorporated into the ECM programming that cuts the fuel on decel and then at about 1800 RPM's or there about reapplies it again. It's supposed to stop or minimize the decel popping and probably has something to do with EPA also.

It will feel as if you reapplied the throttle again as it coasts down.

Maybe this is what you are feeling.

I'd opened this thread in a window nearly an hour ago. Was wondering why nobody had mentioned that that's the way it works with the (at least our) EFI. Remember when they started putting dash-pots on the throttles of cars back in the '70s so the throttles didn't just snap closed anymore?

Every time I sense the "action" I recall the days when after so many years of no two-strokes, Yamaha released their little 400. Good thing they weren't too expensive 'cause lots of riders accustomed to four-strokes would go to rely on engine braking to scrub off a little speed and find themselves in the ditch next to a fresh yellow/black pretzel.

It's not that bad, what we got, but it can be the slightliest disconcerting at odd moments. Rest assured it's got plenty of green to its being.

My 09 does it too, but it's very short term and I feel it more in the lower gears at about 1100 rpm. I always figured it was the IDS or compensator unloading, but your 05 don't have a IDS?????

If I understand your situation,,,,
Your not going to feel much bracking at 1100 RPM because you so close to idle speed. Not much braking left in the engine since the ECM is about to increase the RPM on it's own to maintain idle RPM.
My idle is set to maintaine 1050 RPM. Down shifting to a RPM of 1100 is not going to buy me much braking at all.

Hoop!

I'd opened this thread in a window nearly an hour ago. Was wondering why nobody had mentioned that that's the way it works with the (at least our) EFI. Remember when they started putting dash-pots on the throttles of cars back in the '70s so the throttles didn't just snap closed anymore?

Dash pots.....I remember those steeeenkin things. Wouldn't let you slow down if they weren't adjusted right:lolrolling

MY FLHR 09 does it TOO

I figured that when leaving OFF the throttle (lets say 3000 rpm) YOU really FEEL the back pressure slowing the bike and like all have said ... then free wheel feel to almost idle rpm...

I think the unit is designed this way... shutting off fuel using a GOOD amount of COOLING compression to slow bike and not allowing back fires ... then goes to normal fuel-air mix a little above idle speed...

I have gone up n down .. up n down several times ... it does it every time NOW i like it.

I have stage one and dobecks TFI... NO pop any way

JUST my opinion

signed....BUBBIE

Okay guys... I feel better about it now. The things you have describe seem to be what I am experiencing. It sounds like it is kind of normal!!

Thanks

Back