Thinking of trading up

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by 08FatBob, Jun 19, 2009.

1. 08FatBob

08FatBob Member

Turns out my wife likes to ride more than she or I thought she would and I'm bouncing around the idea of trading up to a Heritage from a Fat Bob. Can anyone out there give me an idea of what I might expect in west Florida to get for trade in value. '08 with 7000 miles, SE A/C, Rush pipes, V&H FuelPak, black powder coated wheels, windshield, back rest, lots of blacked out acc's, garage and cover kept, show room condition. Any ball park ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. nolafishr

nolafishr Active Member

I would go with a Touring Bike as others said, More comfortable, Storage, ABS Brakes, Cruise, Security Ect. You may have to eat some Money on the Trade, Go to some Dealers and work some numbers and see what happens.
    Good Luck with your decision!

3. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Motorcycle Consumer News has a website and they run a used bike value guide twice a year, spring and fall I think. NADA site is also good. Might also check Ebay (completed listings) and Craigslist for your area. Doesn't hurt to let the dealer have a look and make an offer - this will be the low end of the scale.

4. hntwrobin

hntwrobin Active Member

FatBob to Heritage is not really a trade up, The FX is a more comfortable ride overall. Like others have said if you plan on riding alot go for a touring model. You'll be much happier, I've owned both and love my SG. That's not to say I didn't ride the tires off the Heritage, rode it from Washington state to Connecticut by way of California :cheers

5. Flashback

Flashback Active Member

my suggestion would be to find what the market is doing and sell it yourself not trade it.Dealers offer way below what you can get selling it yourself do s little work and be patient and it can take some of the sting out of your next purchase..

6. dynadad

dynadad Member

I live in S. Florida, went to local dealer for somthing, while waiting I looked
    at a new 2009 ultra, asked salesmen what they would give me in trade for a
    2007 fxdl-black and a 2008 fxdl black/orange. He ofered me $8000.00 for '08
    and $7500.00 for '07 :52: I almost dropped dead from shock. I owe more on
    one then what he offerd for both. If you still want to upgrade, sell on your
    own, e-bay, graigs list, or add in paper...

7. glider

glider Veteran Member

The dealers only will pay wholesale prices for a bike regardless of the extras usually. They don't seem to be very happy unless they can make the usual 2- 3K on most bikes.

8. speedyron

speedyron Active Member

Sorry new to posting pictures
    [​IMG]

9. 03classic

03classic Junior Member

kelly Blue Book will give you a good idea on wholesale and retail values.You will always make more money selling it yourself.If the dealer is motivted to move some inventory and depending on the model you are looking at they might go alittle higher than wholesale

10. HarleyHarry

HarleyHarry Banned

With a Harley you can't trade "up", you're on a Harley allready.