free website stats program Thinking of removing cats from 2011 ultra. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Thinking of removing cats from 2011 ultra.

...I suggest leaving the cats (not what most want to hear) and installing an Xied from Nightrider. It will reduce temps and eliminate alot of the pinging. Another suggestion is to use header wrap around the cat area. However, it needs to be thinly wrapped in order to put the heat shields back on.

...I suggest leaving the cats (not what most want to hear) and installing an Xied from Nightrider. It will reduce temps and eliminate alot of the pinging. Another suggestion is to use header wrap around the cat area. However, it needs to be thinly wrapped in order to put the heat shields back on.

Two flaws in your theory although a good one.

The Xied, while adding a bit of fuel do it overall in all areas and most that have tried them go to the TFI for adjustability for not much difference for more results.Basically the fuel mapping from the factory is the leanest at low RPM's so adding overall with the same fuel would be self defeating.

The second is that the header wrap will cause early destruction of the pipe from holding in the exhaust heat.

Harley Davidson Community

I re-read post and Glider took some of my thunder,,, Good Man that Glider...
He Owns the POOF Button you gotta respect that...:laugh ASK Jack and HDDon..Long ago,,, Oh that's another story and time....:newsmile055:

I would GO treu duels and Keep the stock mufflers .... Believe us when WE suggest the TFI as the fueler... You Have other choices here BUT the 50$ Discount and Free shipping for the TFI is Not to be Overlooked.. AND it does a good job no, that is GREAT job.

IN It's self the TFI Will enhance a HD "off the show room floor"

The true duels are by far a better Idea than destroying your cats... Once Gone and down the road you sell and the originals are NOT available Might COOK your deal say nothing about the EPA..(doubting EPA tho', no $$ to operate):)

You like your NON Noisy and stock sound Keep It.. True Duels are for you and the TFI...

signed....BUBBIE

Two flaws in your theory although a good one.

The Xied, while adding a bit of fuel do it overall in all areas and most that have tried them go to the TFI for adjustability for not much difference for more results.Basically the fuel mapping from the factory is the leanest at low RPM's so adding overall with the same fuel would be self defeating.

The second is that the header wrap will cause early destruction of the pipe from holding in the exhaust heat.

Harley Davidson Community

...thanks for the response, but in regards to the Xied...the additional call for fuel to richen the mixture cools the engine temps. As far as adjustability you are correct...my only interest was reduce the heat and it did just that. I also ran stock mufflers and air filter.

...you are also correct with header wrap resulting in early destruction...but from the collection of water under the wrap causing rust and not from heat. I removed header wrap from a 1997 Boss Hoss header with lots thinner metal than the harley pipes and it was still in fairly good condition and that was 14 years of it being on the headers...the damage was more cosmetic.

Attachments

• 97hossvettecovers.jpg
    97hossvettecovers.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 8
If you did a cross section of the pipe you would see where the metal is actually deteriorating and it's not just on the outer surface. It comes apart in layers from the excess heat that is retained, if it were just water on the surface causing the problem, it would burn off as soon as pipe temps were reached.

If you did a cross section of the pipe you would see where the metal is actually deteriorating and it's not just on the outer surface. It comes apart in layers from the excess heat, if it were just water causing the problem, it would burn off as soon as pipe temps were reached.

...maybe so. But I will wait about about doing a cross section.

Also thanks for the input Glider...that is what I value from these forums...being able to read others experiences and the depth of knowledge...especially when one has a problem or question regarding our hobbies and passion to ride.

Back