free website stats program Thinking about slip ons, which brand? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Thinking about slip ons, which brand?

This question comes up every 30 days or more.
They are all good for the most part.
You need to figure out how much you want to spend.
What style/look you want
Sound, deep low, loud mid range.
The only way you going to figure that out is get out to some events at dealerships, poker runs ECT and look for rides like yours and listen to them. Talk with owner if you find a set you like find out if they added or removed baffles .
Example one model V&H I think are way to loud friend showed up with them on his bike they sound good, he had added a baffle in the headers to quiet them down.
HD offers a couple different SE slipons .
Problem I have with some like V&H is that so many have them they look to be stock.
Take your time buying the wrong ones for you can be costly.

I have a budget of $1000.00. I already got a quote from my dealer for $850.00 which includes, V&H slip ons, Stage 1 air cleaner, remap fuel and labor. They did not recommend SE, said customers are complaining about them.
I want a more pronounced Harley sound, I can barely hear the stock pipes while riding.
I had V&H on my last bike and was very pleased with them, but never researched what else was out there.
The style I am after would be to keep the chrome head pipes and replace the chrome mufflers with black ones.

I have the screaming eagle and just right for me. Had VH before and were too loud for my liking. Look around and listen. Pipes aint cheap so make sure its what you want.

GOOD POINTS kpstar,,,,

AND the re-sale of them USED is not top $$ either...

Smitty901 hit another Home Run on his post above.

signed....BUBBIE

I had an 09 FXDF(Fat Bob) which has the same exhaust as your bike. I made a BIG mistake and bought the Screamin Eagle slips ons. They are EPA legal just like the stock pipes on your bike and are only marginally louder at best. I live out in the boonies and have a couple of nice long straight stretches so I tried the mufflers to see what a difference there really was. Totally stock my bike would run 112 MPH. with the SE slip ons I could get about 114. I was VERY disappointed in the very quiet SE slip ons. Next I bought a very reasonably priced pair of 2.5" Cycle Shack slip ons($182 delivered from Dennis Kirk). With the Cycle Shacks it would run 118MPH. That was without adding a free flow air cleaner or fuel tuner. The more you spend, generally the more performance you will get. If you really want the bike to run nicely a good 2 into 1 pipe, fuel tuner and free flow air cleaner will make your bike not even feel like the same machine. Do some research on this forum and for around your budget of $1000 you should be able to do a complete stage 1(if you install everything) and will be happy. But as stated earlier, the best way to save money is listen to what some other people are running. I helped my oldest son do a full stage #1 to his 09 Fatboy for less than $600 and it really runs nice and sounds very nice too. Good luck to you!

Did a similar pipe swap w/my FLHX (stock chrome header w/black pipes) and elected for 3.5" Rineharts. Great pipe & not obnoxiously loud...ended up ceramic coating entire exhaust black. Good luck w/your search!

I have a set of the SE II with the removable baffles. You can change the sound by cutting a small amount at a time from the baffles until you get it how you like it.

i have the reinhart 3.5 black w/chrome tips no baffles love the sound awsome at highway speed. 07 street bob all else is stock.
steve

Going to pull the trigger in a week or so. Right now I am going with Vance & Hines slash cut slip ons in black. Screaming eagle stage 1 air and a remap.

V&H Big Shots, V&H FuelPac, RSD Intake, and I realy liked the sound and performance.:) Added Black Widdow Cams and PCV w/Auto Tune and now I love it. :D Deeper rumble and she really cracks when you whack the throttle. For the price difference of Full system vs slip-ons, I personally would just go with the full system. JMHO

Got them and very pleased with them, bike runs alot cooler now also

2011-06-02134408.jpg

Back