free website stats program thinking about a trike | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

thinking about a trike

I can see that being a issue especially around Pa. With the worn in grooves in the road from same tracking axles of cars and trucks I can see trying to ride a trike and finding a smooth ride could be exhausting. Especially when coming to a stop on grades where the asphalt has been rippled from big trucks stopping.
Good Point dbmg !

Where the front tire on a trike tracks is way different from a 2 wheeler IMO, the rear tires follow the lead, that said I wish the H D trikes had independent rear suspension

Where the front tire on a trike tracks is way different from a 2 wheeler IMO, the rear tires follow the lead, that said I wish the H D trikes had independent rear suspension
You are correct Jack. That would definitely give you a better ride quality. Most of the aftermarket kits do have independent. Maybe Harley may offer that in the future if trike sales continue to grow....

You are correct Jack. That would definitely give you a better ride quality. Most of the aftermarket kits do have independent. Maybe Harley may offer that in the future if trike sales continue to grow....
I wonder why they haven't gone to independent suspension. Is it the increase cost. Does it really improve the ride ? I haven't ridden either, so I don't have a clue....

It has improve the ride.If you hit a pothole with independent suspension only the wheel that hits it takes the jarring.The way it is a solid axle will transfer all that to both wheels now.

Better ride quality on non smooth roads and independent suspension gets the rear tires to stay more flat footed around corners instead of sidewall flexing of solid rear axle.
If you type in the search bar of the net independent rear suspension versus solid rear axle on a motorcycle trike the articles are numerous both pro and con of each...

I get what you guys are saying about the independent suspension. I'm just wondering why Harley Davidson hasn't gone to this. I'm sure if they were getting a lot of complaints about the fixed axle, they would of changed. Which brings up another question, why are people still buying the h.d. trikes and not complaining about not having independent suspension. Must not be that bad.....

You are probably correct. For the increased cost versus benefit the MOCO can not justify to go with independent but you think that possibly the Mother ship would offer both versions to give consumers the option.

This will drive the cost up a bit, My Freewheeler handles pretty good, rough roads and road construction is a bit tougher, nuthin I cannot over come right now. It does handle best 2 up with 26 PSI in the rear tires

This will drive the cost up a bit, My Freewheeler handles pretty good, rough roads and road construction is a bit tougher, nuthin I cannot over come right now. It does handle best 2 up with 26 PSI in the rear tires
I also heard a lot of people run 22-23 psi in the rears.

Back