free website stats program Thinking about a new bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Thinking about a new bike

I had heard that when someone buys an 883, they always want to move up to a bigger bike right away. So, I skipped the 883 and bought a 1200. I had a Honda 250 before and wasn't sure how big of a bike I could handle. I've had my 1200 for year now and I still love it more every time I ride it. :)

I just bought an 883 and now I want a 1200 am I crazy or is this normal?
:33:

I would say that this is normal. the bike in my avitar was an 883, now I am upgrading it to a Stage 2 (1200 conversion, with better cams). I am already looking at a bigger bike so my wife can have this one. I am looking at a ST, or a touring. I have it nailed it down to 3 different bikes. It will be either a Deluxe, CrossBones or a Street Glide.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had heard that when someone buys an 883, they always want to move up to a bigger bike right away. So, I skipped the 883 and bought a 1200. I had a Honda 250 before and wasn't sure how big of a bike I could handle. I've had my 1200 for year now and I still love it more every time I ride it. :)

I didn;t even ride my 883 when I bought it. I just tore it down and redid it. I heard that is some sort of illness??? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2010 superglide is my first bike and has the 96CI like all dynas. I had been talking for 2 years about what bike to get when I finally bought and was spending too much thought on the recommendations from the safety course folks about staying under 1000 cc but all the guys I talked to told me to just go for it and get the biggest one I could afford.....glad I listened because I absolutely LOVE the power of the dyna! I bought mine the same week as a friend that purchased an sportster 883.....he was afraid the 1584 would be too much for him. He has 1500 miles on the 883 and already is wishing he bought the dyna......I leave him in the dust when we ride together just merging onto the freeway! Just get the biggest one you can afford and be smart....take some time to get used to the throttle before pushing it.....it only goes as fast as you twist the throttle anyway!

Choice what you will just remember that the two most powerful bikes in the HD lineup based on power to weight ratio are. The Vrod and the 1200 Sportster.

this is a tough call. i love my sporty, especially in the turns, but wouldn't think of riding two up on it. it's an 883, but with the Stage 1 and Dobeck TFI it's plenty fast; i outrun my buddies' Roadstar 1600. but still, at highway speeds, the fun wears off pretty quick. it's a dilemma that i totally understand right now. i dream about a Deluxe.

and... i think riding what you have until you are totally good at at and sick of it (at the same time) before you upgrade is good advice. i'm almost there.

Last edited:
For me, 883 is good for city riding... filtering, fitting between cars in traffic and stop sign. I can't imagine that with a HD tank. Don't do much touring :(

I agree for two up riding the sporty is not the greatest. My wife hates driving anywhere whether it is in a car or on a bike. So for me no issue about two up. As for highway have had no issues as of yet. Just stop every 125 miles or so to fill up and away I go, and usually everything I need to carry fits in my ruck sack which I have strapped to my back so currently no need for bags.

I also loved my sportster ,but as with everyone else my wife is 5'11" ...didn't work riding two up. What's is funny about that is back in the 80's I had a 1100 special yamaha which would have been fine 2 up. So when I bought the sporty I thought ok ...1200 she should be fine. I keep it about 6 mths before buying a bigger bike

Exactly what I did, went from 883 to 1200C. Huge mistake. I'd definitely recommend bigger.

I do not know if it was a mistake, I like my 1200, it is just going to be used for different purposes. Not racing, but if I want to go on shorter rides or if i am with bikes that have some juice to them, I know I will be able to keep up...:D

Back