Things You Should Never Use On Or Do To Your Bike.

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by glider, May 4, 2009.

1. glider

glider Veteran Member

Smitty901 came up with the idea about things that you shouldn't do to or use on your bike.

Let's try to keep this post on topic without all the extra chat and we can all learn something here that may save us some grief.

2. adam026

adam026 Member

Is it ok to use windex on your paintjob?
    I always have and never had a problem

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

I would rather see Pledge on the entire bike than Windex. That has ammonia in most brands which isn't good for painted parts and will strip any wax off the rest of the bike when you use it.

4. Fossil

Fossil Active Member

Since they became available I only use Harley wash and wax products. My 1988 Electra Glide Sport still has the original paint job and it is still shiny and sparkles. Do not use rubbing compound on today's paint jobs motorcycle or cars. It will dull the clear on top of the color. Fossil

5. Apyle

Apyle Junior Member

The turtle wax ice is about the biggest pain to take off of any of the waxes I have ever tried. I'll never use it again.

6. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Never use loose fitting or worn tools on your bike...loose may mean you are using a Metric tool on an SAE sized fastener or vice versa. If fastener seems too tight, do not force it, especially if it does break loose but still is tight... could be cured Red Loctite on the fastener, so sometimes a bit of fresh Locktite has sufficient solvent to leach down into the threads and allow easier removal or use heat gun as a last resort (don't ask how I found out about this). A hand impact tool has hardened phillips bits and the larger knurled handle provides great turning force without damaging fasteners, only rarely will you need the hammer "impact" feature.

7. Razorwyre

Razorwyre Member

Do not put Armor All on your tires.

Do not use sand paper to remove boot scuffs from your pipes.:p

8. scrname321

scrname321 Member

as I have learnt bad way.... do not power wash your bike. water could go in electrical areas.

9. threesteps

threesteps Junior Member

Your Jiffy Stand is good. Don't get off the bike without using it!:s

10. mrs2cool

mrs2cool Active Member

Do not use "Mother's Back to Black" on your seat (or tires).