things to check

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by tlg1100, Dec 12, 2010.

1. tlg1100

tlg1100 Member

08 heritage just bought from dealer,some people have told or warned me about primary chain wear and cam chain tensioner?I talked to the guy who owned it and I am sure he took great care of it with the dealer doing all maintenance and they said they serviced it before I bought it,any comment? when spring comes I just want to ride and then ride some more.

2. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

The chain tensioners are better but still wear to fast .. other things is the compensator unit springs get weak or break but you have to tear apart primary for that

3. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Congradulations on the new bike. How many miles does it have on it?

4. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

The '08 already has the hydraulic tensioners and larger capacity oil pump. You might want to check the cam chest just to make sure of the condition of the tensioner shoes. The main thing to do once you have a reason to strip the cam chest (like changing cams) is the inner cam shaft roller bearings upgrade to the Torringtons.

TQ

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

How many miles? Check the self help section and get familiar with servicing your bike:s

6. jaxdwg

jaxdwg Active Member

It probably doesn't have over 10k on it. RIDE it, and congrats

7. tlg1100

tlg1100 Member

thanks for all replys,was busy couldnt reply right away.The bike has 23,000 miles. and I know its was not rode hard and maintained regularly by dealer If that means anything? And it is all stock.. no mods

8. HOLY DIVER

HOLY DIVER Junior Member

only thing i would make sure of on an 08 would be to make sure it does not have excessive engine vibration. but u said it was not abused so its highly unlikely it does