free website stats program These Kinds of Encounters Shouldn't surprise me anymore... | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

These Kinds of Encounters Shouldn't surprise me anymore...

In my case, some guy kept leaving a note on my bike parked in the gym parking lot. It was hand written and would say something like pipe is too loud with insults at the end. The last one was typed up! Based on what he wrote, it seems he knew a thing or two about bikes. I ended up parking behind the building. There are a lot of people out there with no life and nothing better to do but butt in someone else's.
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Read your encounter and thought how the exchange would have went if I had met up with this fellow. One thing you have to remember is, we really enjoy our rides and MOST people DO NOT KNOW WHAT RIDING ON TWO WHEELS MEANS. I suppose us guys could say the same about some women who ride or own horses...same thing - see below. :34:

As I pull my bike into the parking lot at the gym the other day, a guy walks by:

guy: kinda cold to be riding, isn't it? (seemingly interested)
me: feels great... as long as the roads are dry it's all good
guy: how much did that bike cost?
me: around $20k (it's an '09 RKC... again, I actually thought he was interested in riding at this point)
guy: that's too much money... you could get a nice car for that much money. It doesn't make sense to spend that much on a bike.

NH74F: Yeah, I spent the same on both my "family SUV & Truck" but I prefer the RK over both for 80% of my riding solo and 2-up...AND get more smiles per mile and compliments then either COMBINED. You really ought to consider getting into the Sport! Freedom of choice on the open road is one of the last pleasures we have left in this great country of ours." :small3d036:

me: (now realizing that he is "one of those"): How are you going to tell me that that's too much money to spend for me?

At this point I was just like, "leave me alone"...

These kinds of things have happened before, but this guy just wouldn't let up.

thanks for letting me vent

ride safe
Drew

Had a father-in-law like that once, said how dangerous motorcycles were and how many people he knew that had been killed riding. I decided to sit him down and “talk” about this due to the fact that it was making riding difficult and each and everyone of his stories began the same way “we’d been drinking” nuff said gave him back his daughter and rode away… :D
Took my sister on her first ride over the summer and she could not get the smile off her face and didn’t want the ride to end, she has always been one of those especially when her son bought his first bike…. Life is great

I have met people like that and I think they are jealous. They wish they could ride but either can't afford it or the wife won't let them. Either way, they are just taking out their frustrations on you.

I usually tell the politely, be it bikes,airplanes,boats, or whatever, you spend your time and money how you like, and I will do the same, and what you CHOSE to do is none of my concern.......

Actually that gentleman was 100% correct. You have to be careful...stupid people are everywhere! He was just too dumb to know he was one of them.

As I pull my bike into the parking lot at the gym the other day, a guy walks by:

guy: kinda cold to be riding, isn't it? (seemingly interested)
me: feels great... as long as the roads are dry it's all good
guy: how much did that bike cost?
me: around $20k (it's an '09 RKC... again, I actually thought he was interested in riding at this point)
guy: that's too much money... you could get a nice car for that much money. It doesn't make sense to spend that much on a bike.
me: (now realizing that he is "one of those"): How are you going to tell me that that's too much money to spend for me?
guy: I don't know, but I've had several bikes, and I'd never get another
me: riding isn't for everyone
guy:Just be very careful (in a condescending tone) lots of drunk drivers out there who don't care how careful you may be
me: thanks for the concern... I know there are inherent dangers. I do all I can to ride responsibly, be aware, and negate those dangers
guy: I don't know... those things are just so dangerous

At this point I was just like, "leave me alone"... what a buzz kill. Well, I ended up having a great workout because I was totall (EDIT) at this guy, and my adrenaline was running. I was one more comment away from getting in his face and kindly asking him to keep his opinions to himself.
Now here is how my dear ole Dad would deal with an indifferent guy like you encountered in the parking lot...it would go something like this... "Mister, I'm glad everybody doesn't like the same thing. If everybody liked the same thing then they would all be trying to steal my wife from me! And then Dad would turn and walk away.

The one that I always thought was goofey was when it is 16 below zero and a foot of snow. You come to work and someone approaches you with this goofy look and says, "Did ya ride in today?" The party very well knowing that you DID not ride in...what pleasure does someone have with such a dumb question? Frankly I don't get it!

See, your first mistake was staying with him in the dialogue. Conversations like these never come to any good, and just lead to frustration. Personally, when faced with similar circumstances, I just turn around and walk off, leaving the bore to talk to himself.

Back