The Wave...

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Zephead, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Zephead

Zephead Member

I have been around motorcycling for about 40 years. Is it just me or do fewer bikers give a greeting wave? I acknowledge every bike I come across. I don't care what is branded on the side as long as it has a motor and two wheels (or three). I just see it as common courtesy and a shared passion, motorcycling. What do you think? Sorry if this has been covered before..

2. Michaelzz28

Michaelzz28 Member

I try to wave all of them unless I am tied up operating mine,
    But you are right alot around were I live do not wave either, But I still do!

3. Animal

Animal Active Member

The wave or the sideways peace sign has been around for a long time. I also do it to all who ride free in the wind, keep waving.

4. bigcletus

bigcletus Active Member

Considering the millions of bikes on the road now...it might just be a little dated...not like the old days where bikes were relatively rare.

5. BikeSAG

BikeSAG Active Member

I also always wave at all bikers and many truckers, unless busy with the controls. The 2 fingers down, or what looks like a sideways peace sign is given to remind the fellow biker to keep both wheels on the ground and be safe.

6. buck484

buck484 Active Member Contributor

I wave to all and if they wave in response fine, if not that's ok too.

7. 06rdking

06rdking Banned

I have been rideing for over 30 years and have always been one to wave but as stated it seems that there are less out there waveing back. I think its alot like everything else, there is genral lack of respect and a selfish mindset about people in our country today. it seams that greed and selfishness are a common personality trait . I stiil remember what I was tought as a kid! Treat others the way you want to be treated! respect your elders, and be thoughtful of others! I dont think that today or for that matter yesterdays parrents tought that to thier kids. just watch the evening news!

8. watch guy

watch guy Banned

Some days I just get tired of it. On a weekend when all the bikes are on the road it just gets to be a pain in the butt. Sometimes I like to shock the scooter riders though and wave at them.

9. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

Like Watch guy says above, it gets tiring on weekends and during bike events. I do the wave most times, but other times it's distracting from operating your own scoot.

10. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Must be that "Southern Hospitality" attitude but most everyone I encounter around here waves or waves back. I resort to the nod of the head if my hands are busy on the controls. Also, I believe it's pretty much an unwritten rule that the wave is suspended during any rally or large bike get together.