free website stats program The stock compensator monster got me | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

The stock compensator monster got me

Have heard of the teeth on the lower arm of the tensioner wearing down, and/or only a couple teeth contacting the bottom ratcheting part of the shoe. Seems the tensioner was upgraded to provide a beefier lower arm with better alignment and PN has A appended: PN 39929-A. If so, sounds like a warranty item!

When I did the SE comp upgrade at 11K miles the tensioner all looked like new still.

Last edited:
How many miles ? the tensioner is a huge piece when i had mine apart it barley had any wear at 16k

Like I said the bike has 30K and I dont know where the 38oz is coming from my service manual calls for 32oz that is what I have always put in it been using formula +

I do run wide open all the time and tend to dog on my bike a bit that could be part of my issues but I ran my old evo the same way and had little to no prob out of it.

I am at 30k on the bike right now and they where not charging any labor to put it on just the cost of the part.

I might ask If they still have the old one I can look at when I pick it up

They are always supposed to give you the OLD parts back,,,, IF THEY are NOT warranty Item parts... The warranty items always go back to HD...

Asking never hurts... I agree that that is Not many miles on the primary chain shoe,,,, I'd like a look If it were My bike.

signed....BUBBIE

Called the "stealer" and requested to speak with the tech doin the work on my bike and he said the message got relaid to me wrong.. My chain tensioner was not worn out it just had some grooving in it and wanted to know if I wanted to replace it while they where in there and they are goin to save me the old one. So I should be able to post some pics if yall are curious.

Got my scoot back last night and yall I forgot what it felt like to have the bike fire off on the first stroke.. No more holdin my breath hopin it fire up on the first try. Also got the tensioner back try to take pic last night but the grooves where so light that in the light I had u couldnt see them in the pics I will try to get better pics in some natrual light today. The tech did say the teeth on the starter where chewed all up and the springs in the rotor assambly where broke. Didnt ask about the S.E. upgrade guess I should have cause I did look at on while I was waiting and it came with the new rotor and since they replaced the compensator=$118 and the rotor & spring assy=$148 that is accualy more then the S.E setup=$249 that dosnt make much since seems like I am missing somthing.

It does kind of (EDIT) that I have been having probs with this bike starting for about six month now and had it up there to them a few times to the tune of we cant find anything. It took me doin the research trouble shooting and takeing it up there and saying This is what is wroung with it and why Iam having probloems FIX IT for it to finally get done.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures. Little bit of wear but you may as well put it in tip-top shape while your in there.

I still have to make it up to my local dealer to see if that is considered a normal wear & tear item. At least you were only charged MSRP. I bet my dealership wants more than $93 for it. :)

The wear looks normal for 30k miles to me. The edges of the chain links are what wear marks are visible. Once the edges wear into the shoe far enough, the chain rollers start contacting the material. The rollers being smooth and moveable, stop most further wear of the shoe. IMO

Back