free website stats program The stock compensator monster got me | Harley Davidson Forums

The stock compensator monster got me

david26

Been havin issues with the bike burpin up threw the air cleaner when hot and try to restart for awhile now had the dealer look at it a few times to the same tune of we cant find anything I have even posted about it. Thought it couuld be a bad tune but it did it when it was stock did it when I did the stage 1 and got tuned and still does it now that I have done stage 2 and tuned but more and more is it not only burpin up threw the air cleaner the starter is startin to slip and grind every 4th or 5th time I try to start it when the bike is good and warm. I remember reading something in AIM a few month back in the hog help line..So I Got the old issues out and sure enough they described to a T what my bike is doing caused by a week compensator trashing the starter clutch drive gear and ring gear on the clutch basket. I got 2 more months on my waranty and the dealer said bring it in they admit it has been a issue but they said they dont know if it the starter or the compestaor. How do I convince them they need to replace all of it show them the issue of AIM they will prob think thats what put it in my head. Then if they do that there prob gonna use a stock compensator I could then replace it with a sreamin eagle but heard those are having issues with not gettin enough oil also. Is there no good cure?

they described to a T what my bike is doing caused by a week compensator trashing the starter clutch drive gear and ring gear on the clutch basket

The very reason I plopped down $250 and bought the equip and installed the SE comp assy. Was having no issues with it other than initially a loose comp nut - and then after I tightened I started getting the starter kicking back occassionally when starting. Never had that till I tightened the nut. Figured with no ESP it was cheap insurance so as not to have to deal later on with possible starter, ring gear issues.

I would definitely pay the difference between the SE comp vs the stock, adn get the SE comp assy installed while they're in there. I would also ask them about the lube issues on the SE comp assy. See if they're even aware of it. As I understand all 11 models on have the SE comp assy. Curious to see if those start having problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would let them do the warranty work, then they will have to stand behind the work they did, There was a problem in 07 with ring gear hardning, mine was replaced with new clutch hub and plates all under warranty, Good Luck:s

You should be always (good dealer) able to UP-GRADE to the SE Comp. part WHEN a problem with a stock one is happening. You should be only charged the difference between the parts by the dealer.. BE FRIENDLY and NO attitude.(.)

IF you go this ROUTE,,,,, GO LOOK HERE on HDT,,, A thread that Geezer started
SE compensator?......
and see The GROOVES that are Ground or Machined (ground is good enough) on the BACK SIDE of SE comp. facing motor,,, 3 place inline with the Spokes...

ASK them to Let YOU groove the back side of the NEW comp Gear(IF ? they will) before they install it........

Suggested with the New SE Comp.: Use Formal+ in the primary case as others found it lubes the SE comp. better. ESPECIALLY with the grooves installed.

If you have the service manager read about the problem HE MIGHT do the grooves or ALLOW you...

IF your NOT familiar with this NEW problem on the SE comp.... PLEASE read about it BEFORE you Leap INTO the New SE COMP replacement....(another can of Worms waiting to happen)

MY SELF... I will stay with the STOCK ONE on MY 09 FLHR.....

signed....BUBBIE

Bike went in yesterday and they did a Teardown inspection and said the clutch hub still looked good but the starter is toast and so was the compensator so all that will be covered under the warranty goin with the stock setup for now because they also said my chain tensioner was on it last leg and needed to be replaced and that is a serviceable item thats costin me $93 I dont got enough to do that and the extra $130 for the se compensator upgrade so I will do the compensator on my own later and can put in the grooves myself.
I didnt even know the self adjusting chain tensioners wore out have never heard of anybody havin issues with them.

they also said my chain tensioner was on it last leg and needed to be replaced and that is a serviceable item thats costin me $93

The chain tensioner pad was shot? On an '09 bike I would have to see that to believe it. I have almost 12K on my 2009 and I am sure I have started my engine just as many times as the next guy. I just looked at it less than a month ago and you can't tell my tensioner pad from a brand new one.

I smell a Rat.:)

The chain tensioner pad was shot? On an '09 bike I would have to see that to believe it. I have almost 12K on my 2009 and I am sure I have started my engine just as many times as the next guy. I just looked at it less than a month ago and you can't tell my tensioner pad from a brand new one.

I smell a Rat.:)

I am at 30k on the bike right now and they where not charging any labor to put it on just the cost of the part.

I might ask If they still have the old one I can look at when I pick it up

I really don't agree with the dealership saying that the primary chain tensioner is a "normal wear and tear" part to start with. Yes, tires, drive belts, batteries are normal wear and tear items but an internal part like that? Not covered under the 2 year warranty?

I bet if I was to go into a dealership today and make believe I was buying a new bike, and asked what parts are NOT covered under warranty, they would not say the chain tensioner even if I ASKED them about it.

As a matter of fact, I am going to try it. I am going to ask what INTERNAL parts are NOT covered. I bet they say all internally oiled parts are covered under the factory warranty.

Back