free website stats program The Road to Hana - Maui | Harley Davidson Forums

The Road to Hana - Maui

cdn-bigfoot

As my wife planned our winter vacation to Hawaii she asked if I might want to rent a Harley for a day and take off for a ride. “Of course I do!” So as she planned our flights, hotel and a hundred other things, I booked a rental HD RoadKing for a day on Maui. It would be a day before new years eve and two before my 46th birthday, and I would be up on two wheels.
A cousin traveling with us rented a Heritage Softail to be my riding partner for the day.
There must be some nice riding in Hawaii right? An excited internet search netted me several possibilities.

Haleakala crater.
This would be a two and a half hours ride where you to ascend to an elevation of 10,023 feet. The vistas from the top of Maui is a view of the islands of Lanai, Molokai and Kahoolawe to the West, and to the East, Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa and the Big Island’s volcanoes in the distance. It can snow in December and January up that high, so a cold ride for a beautiful view was not on our Hawaiian agenda.

Iao Valley.
This would be a fairly short ride from Lahaina where we rented our bikes, about 30 - 45 minutes. This valley was described by Mark Twain as the "Yosemite of the Pacific." But what is The Iao Needle? It’s a monolith of rock. The 2250 foot basalt core remained after water washed away the weaker stones surrounding it. Beautiful views of the West Maui Mountains show one million years of erosion. Interesting but we rented bike in paradise so we could ride! A geology lesson could wait for another day.

Road to Hana.

We then read about the infamous "Road to Hana". It would be a 70 mile ride one way from our start in Lahaina. That’s only 140 miles return. surely we could find a way to ride away the rest of the day upon our return. The road sounds like a bikers dream. A 50 mile stretch of the road promises 600 hairpin corners and 54 one-way bridges. Must be a typo, but it sounds cool. Book it.
with_the_King.jpg
After arriving in Lahaina at 9 am on Dec 30th we kissed the
wives good bye. I’m sure some exciting outlet stores awaited most of our group. We adorned our blue jeans and t-shirts and then saddled up. The helmets we had brought from home stayed firmly affixed... in our saddle bags. Not only are there no helmet laws here, but no-one seems to wear one. We don’t want to stick out as tourists. Our white skin protected by spf 40 and our thinning scalps by a ball cap locked on backwards. The rental guy advised we get familiar with the bikes before we head out. Hello Mr. Harley, let’s ride! First we rode across Maui to the north shore.
above_Northshore_beach.jpg

The ride starts out with a beautiful 15 minute ride along the South facing beaches of Maui. I can’t wipe the smile off my face. Ahhh, to heck with it, I think I’ll just give in and smile. The highway North took us through fields of sugar cane before reaching a quaint little town called Kahului on the North shore. There we stopped to watch some surfers take on some 15 foot waves! It’s a short stop for a can of Guava juice.
We have 600 hairpins awaiting us.
road_in_cliff.jpg

The road to Hana snakes along a steep cliff-like shoreline giving the rider only brief glimpses to the ocean below. As we ride East along this narrow road our shoulders almost brush the steep cliff face on our right side. The rain forest to out left obscures almost all signs of the steep cliff below and doesn’t often reveal our proximity to the Pacific waters. The “two lane highway” is more like a one lane road with a dotted yellow line dividing it’s width. The pavement is pristine and it is refreshingly free of potholes and frost heaves. As much as I regret not getting a crotch rocket for the curvy road we are on, I am glad that the 350 kg bike beneath me limits me gearbox to first and second gears. Speed, combined with looking at the Antherium flowers growing wild in every ditch would no doubt end our ride most abruptly.

So we brake at most every corner and only pour on the throttle when the stretch ahead of us measures longer than a Harley dealerships garage floor. I’m glad we strike imposing figures on our American Iron. Vespas would not garner us the little respect we get from the oncoming cars filled with tourists and the pickup trucks laden with locals going the other direction. It’s tempting to stop at every open vista or stone railed bridge and take out the camera. But a few feet to pull aside is a scarce commodity on this busy goat trail they call a highway.
Barry_with_the_bikes.jpg
Just a few miles short of Hana I spot a fish taco stand. I point it out to Dale on the bike behind me. He knows it’s the only stop we must make on the way back. Hana greets us with open skies and a remote island feel. There is obviously some heritage here as buildings are made of stone and the architecture of another era. My concern for the moment is to top up my gas tank at the only station in town. We grab some Hawaiian cigars , peel of the shirt and walk the tiny beach. Only a few locals are in the water, and no-one is building castles in the sand. our shoulders are tight from the 70 mile ride from the rental shop. But it was only 70 miles! Oh, and it took us over 4 hours! Now we just need to ride it all back again. After some fish tacos that is.
My conclusions about taking The Road to Hana are important if you plan on the ride anytime in the future. Wet corners are much more slippery than we are used to at home. Perhaps the smooth road surface combined with a growth of moss and other rotting vegetation means for slips where one wouldn’t expect slips. Enjoy every corner and don’t go too fast. Once you feel weary of the turns and the challenge is routine, it’s time to turn around. Hana holds little that you can’t find on other parts of the island. Stop at some of the islands treasures along the way. Black Sand Beach and Seven Pools are two worth resting your shoulders at.
The following morning at sunrise my wife and I had a couple hours before the Harley needed to be returned. We headed west and followed Hwy 30 North along the shoreline. The road was very similar to the Hana Highway in shape and construction. But the vistas to the ocean were wide open. There was little to no rain forest obstructing our view of the many rock cliffs and beaches. Every corner revealed a valley very different from the last. Yucca plants and palm trees spotted the sheer cliff faces beside the road. Bring your camera and a lunch. This road is traveled very infrequently by tourists and the passing locals are few and far between. Don’t expect a fish taco stand around the next corner. It isn’t there. This is a ride I hesitate to tell many about, because it seems it is the best kept secret on the beautiful island of Maui.

Aloha.

Thank you for sharing your Maui chronicle and pictures...I would like to do that someday. When you get back PM me for the details on how you scheduled the details. :D

Thanks for sharing Bigfoot, must of been a trip of a life time, looks like you had a really great time. I was there a few years back and some of the roads were fantastic even if two cars counld fit in some places, those roads were built for harleys. The Harley shop on Maui sent me a ticket and I flew over to work for them, but rent was through the roof, my bike & tool's got lost in shipping, my wife was in Idaho trying to sell our house, I made the biggest mistake of my life and thru in the towel, came back to Idaho, now I'm sitting here watching it snow:small3d023: I wanted to rent a house on easy street but could not find one:small3d023: Here's a couple of my pic's you might recognize.
maui1.jpg

maui2.jpg

maui3.jpg

Thanks to all for the kind words. They are encouraging as I rarely find the time or inspiration to write anything.

Richard. We stayed at the Kanapali Beach resort. Not high end but very comfortable and a great location. We saw whales on our snorkeling tour to Molikini. But there was better snorkeling right near our hotel down the beach. I love Maui!

Chopper. I understand why you made your decision to move back. We've all made those types of choices. I hope you eventually get back to paradise. As far as $150 rental for the day. It was worth every penny just for the excitement and anticipation it gave me thinking about the ride. And once we were on it. WOW. Money well spent. I would love to go back to finish the West to North swing my wife and I started. And maybe save a little time for some private beach frolicking....

Thank you for sharing your Maui chronicle and pictures...I would like to do that someday. When you get back PM me for the details on how you scheduled the details. :D

The details were quite simple to plan. Eaglerider motorcycle rentals. Booked online. Paid online.
The route was a suggestion of another MC rental outlet on the island Hula Hogs. I planned the route more specifically on Google maps. Here is our route.

Google Map route Lahaina - Hana

Don't forget to check out the route around the West side of the island as well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post! Looks like a great ride, probably too short though. What part of Canada you from Bigfoot?

I'm surprised you didn't take the northern route (Highway 340) one way or even the full round trip.

I did that route in a car and it was just spectacular. I'm going to have to do it on a bike someday (soon).

Maui is just wonderful!!

Back