free website stats program The Return To The Scene Of The Crash.... | Harley Davidson Forums

The Return To The Scene Of The Crash....

Joyflyin

Experienced Member
Staff member
Okay, it has been just over a month since I crashed my dirt bike in WV, and last week I returned for a visit. Just for fun, I thought I would take a couple of pictures of where I crashed so you all could enjoy it with me. :D

I might add that the neighbor has since moved the cows, (I swear there were cows there...) :) The horses are back in this pasture now, which I must say, are a bit more cooperative than the cows. LOL With the cattle being gone, the grass is a bit higher I might add.

So, the story goes, I was tooling down the road at approximately 20 mph, and there were a few cows in the road. I decided to just ride through the grassy area to the left of the road. It really didn't look like a bad idea.

Dec_2009_May2010660.jpg

Here is a picture depicting the scenario....I apologize for not being an artist...:) The black 'C's' depict the cows, and the blue arrows depict my alternate route.

Dec_2009_May2010660-1.jpg

The yappy little dog in the road was not there the day of the crash.....I despise that dog BTW....

Here is a shot of my view as I'm planning on getting back on the road, the ditch is basically at the back of the trailer.

Dec_2009_May2010665-1.jpg

The ditch would be option 1, and the next picture would be option 2.

Dec_2009_May2010667.jpg

I tried to prevent the crash but it boils down to I was just going to fast. :) I could have stopped in the road and tooted the horn, or I could have just slowed down when I went into the grass. But instead, I left a divot. LOL

Dec_2009_May2010666.jpg

I will post the injuries in the next post, but let me warn you, I still don't like to look at the leg. :s

Okay, I didn't have my wits about me at the time to take a picture of the bike after the crash, sorry about that. I hope there is no next time however.

I might add, that after I had some time to evaluate my injuries, I decided that I would just go to the ER near our house in Ohio, even though it was going to be about 4 hours away. We have a good ER here that is close to home, and if I would have went to the hospitals close to the farm, I would have sat in the waiting room there for 4 hours before they would have done anything for me; and not to mention the road construction. I pointed out to my husband that if I changed my mind, we would pass 2 other hospitals on the way home.

So, now that I had a 4 hour truck ride ahead of me, I had to find ways to entertain myself.

Here is the eye. Honestly, it never really bothered me at all.

LAFestivalOfBooks_BikeCrash516.jpg

The shoulder still hurts a bit, but not from the abrasion, I think I may have some muscle damage in there. It is still giving me a little trouble.

LAFestivalOfBooks_BikeCrash517.jpg

I would like to think that my shoulder is that defined from working out, but it's not. :D

Now, for the leg. I will show you the jeans first. From looking at the jeans, I did not expect the leg to be as bad as it was.

LAFestivalOfBooks_BikeCrash532.jpg

There is only a small 'L' shaped tear in the jeans. I did not expect to see the bone when I looked at my leg. :(

LAFestivalOfBooks_BikeCrash526.jpg

Yes, it hurt then, and it still hurts today to some degree. Even though it is still painful, the pain is all in the bone. The cut is healing very well and hasn't really bothered me at all. The bone bruise is a different story. :17::17::17:

Here are the pictures of the next morning.

But first, one of my loving dogs who is always willing to lick the wounds clean checking up on me. :)

LAFestivalOfBooks_BikeCrash527.jpg

3 Stitches in the eye and a fat lip.

LAFestivalOfBooks_BikeCrash529.jpg

And I ended up with 7 stitches in the leg.

LAFestivalOfBooks_BikeCrash530.jpg

And here it is with my creative bandaging in L.A. :D

LAFestivalOfBooks_BikeCrash614.jpg

Here are some of the later pictures I had to take & email to my sister to prove to my mother that I was really healing pretty well. :)

The eye 1 week later.

DSCN0094.jpg

The shoulder...a Popeye kind of look.

DSCN0099.jpg

And of course, the leg.

DSCN0109.jpg

Okay, that's pretty much it for me. Now have to rave on the beauty of the dual sport bike. :D I checked the bike out, and thanks to my husband, the mirrors are no longer sporting the new sportster look of being under the bars. :D There are no dents at all, just a few scratches on the lights.

Winter_SpringPix2010617.jpg

My blood on the tank, but no dents.

Winter_SpringPix2010618.jpg

Winter_SpringPix2010629-1.jpg

Hubby says the bars are bent pretty good, but I didn't think they felt too bad.

Here are my sunglasses, which I finally replaced this week. :glasses

Winter_SpringPix2010632.jpg

The leg at about 3 weeks.

Winter_SpringPix2010636.jpg

And finally, the fleet of dual sports, but I think it will be a while before I take over the cool yellow 400. Hubby seems to think it may still be a bit much for me. :bigsmiley20::newsmile100:

Winter_SpringPix2010627-1.jpg

Winter_SpringPix2010626-1.jpg

And, as to be expected, at week 4, everything is still improving. :s

You took a few hard knocks on that little grassy ride Joy,sure glad it wasn't worse.Looks like it will all heal fine although you will have the scar to tell the tale.

Boy ain't that the truth Steve! LOL, fortunately I learned how to crash I guess with my 25 pound mountain bike. I was just really glad I didn't land in a cow pile. :newsmile100: Plus, I am glad I had crashed and landed in the grass rather than the road. :s

Glad to here that you are on the mend and that leg wound did look fairly nasty im sure itll be there for a wee while yet reminding you to take care

Brian

Well, been riding two-wheeled vehicles and had a few "incidents with road rash and skinned up on bicycles, but "knock on wood" no broken bones or serious injury.

Joy you are one brave and resilient "Amazon" regarding the weekend warrior thing ...my hats off to your skill :hii...and survival of the fittest creedo...Darwin would be proud!!! :newsmile075:

The wounds are healing nicely. The leg wound is looking really good. Glad to hear you are doing fine. You will have to get back on the bike soon to show who the boss is.
kemo

Wow Joy, I didn't know you had such an incident, I'm Thankful you are OK. That little ditch was pretty well hidden, especially at 20 mph. Sounds & looks like everything is healing like it should. Good write-up. I wish for you Complete Healing.

Back