free website stats program The question about oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

The question about oil

I have never understood the confusion about synthetic vs conventional oil. Never saw the benefit of paying more for synthetic when it's going to be changed every 3000 miles or so. Now, if one happens to roll up 12K or more miles a year on a motor, I can see the cost benefit working out but how many guys/gals do you know that put more than 2K-3K miles a year on a bike? I would guess not many and that's one annual oil/filter change. So why pay more for a motor oil that will get tossed annually and, generally, will make the valve train noisier? I suppose some climates could dictate the use of a synthetic motor oil but not in south Texas. ;) I have had a shoulder surgery this year, so have not been able to roll up the 5K or so miles I usually do but that gets divided up between three motorcycles, so I do a oil change once a year in all three and I run a quality conventional oil in all three, different viscosities but all conventional.

Like Jeff says, it's like religion; whatever floats your boat is the way to go.:cool:

I don't know Don, 2-3 thousand a year seems pretty light especially in the warmer climate states.
I think it would be interesting to start a mileage per year poll and see what the average is.:)

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer, but I can not answer the most important question.
Why synthetic oil and engine valves are louder ?.
What is the reason or jacks let go of wine or oil pressure ?.

Thank you for your answer, but I can not answer the most important question.
Why synthetic oil and engine valves are louder ?.
What is the reason or jacks let go of wine or oil pressure ?.

Nothing to do with oil pressure, my guess is less friction.

I don't know Don, 2-3 thousand a year seems pretty light especially in the warmer climate states. I think it would be interesting to start a mileage per year poll and see what the average is.:)

Could be. I am talking about the weekend rider, like me that does not make the work day commute on the bike, gets enough time off to make maybe one long trip a year and rides on the weekends that weather, family responsibilities/holidays and other such distractions prevent getting out in the wind. I usually can manage at least 5K miles a year, 7k if I am lucky and I am guessing there are a lot of riders like me but certainly could be wrong.

I agree with Dolt. In the climates with a moderate riding season, it is tough to get in more than a 3k season with other life responsibilities. We don't have any kids with us, but we have the classic cars, hot air balloons, bicycles & kayaks. It is tough some days to pick which toy to play with. When I was riding more early on, my goal was to hit 3k per year, and to hit that goal, I had to ride to and from work quite a bit. ;) Now I don't even care. :) The last two years have been less than 1k. I drive a company vehicle now so it is even harder to get in and get a ride in the evening. (Since I don't like to ride much after dark. I couldn't imagine if I had kids in sports! Then you factor in the weather...

I agree with Dolt. In the climates with a moderate riding season, it is tough to get in more than a 3k season with other life responsibilities. We don't have any kids with us, but we have the classic cars, hot air balloons, bicycles & kayaks. It is tough some days to pick which toy to play with. When I was riding more early on, my goal was to hit 3k per year, and to hit that goal, I had to ride to and from work quite a bit. ;) Now I don't even care. :) The last two years have been less than 1k. I drive a company vehicle now so it is even harder to get in and get a ride in the evening. (Since I don't like to ride much after dark. I couldn't imagine if I had kids in sports! Then you factor in the weather...
That's why when asked what type of bike I have I always say, a 900 pound paper weight called a Hardly Dangerous.

I know when I used Amsoil many years ago that my bike's engine noise was noticable louder. So I went back to dyno oil and it was quieter. I did change it every 3000 miles just to keep it as clean as possible.
I am just about to change the oil on my 15 and have not decieded on what I will use.
Try to find a different brand syn oil to see if your noise gets quieter.

But what causes this noise.
Can the viscosity of the oil after the engine has warmed up.
At what synthetic motor oil was the quietest ?.

Back