free website stats program The phantom shift | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

The phantom shift

Go to a parking lot and try braking harder and harder untill the ABS kicks in, you will feel it. Might answer the question.

Do you have any warranty left? I would have a tech ride it I have seen cage trannys jump out of gear but never seen this on a Harley Strange

When you say jumping "out of gear", are you talking popping out of gear into neutral? When mine is doing it, it's not going into neutral when it does it, it's still in gear.

And not sure if this has anything to do with it, probably not, but I have noticed when I'm running in 6th gear, if I have to come to a stop and while leaving it in 6th gear, I pull in on the clutch only, the 6th gear indicator light on the speedo will go out, even tho it's still in 6th gear. For what that's worth.

When you say jumping "out of gear", are you talking popping out of gear into neutral? When mine is doing it, it's not going into neutral when it does it, it's still in gear.

And not sure if this has anything to do with it, probably not, but I have noticed when I'm running in 6th gear, if I have to come to a stop and while leaving it in 6th gear, I pull in on the clutch only, the 6th gear indicator light on the speedo will go out, even tho it's still in 6th gear. For what that's worth.

Not sure this is a tranny problem, cant see how these trannys could jump out of gear, poor choice of wording on my post, I am leaning towards an ABS problem here. The only way it could change gears is by moving the shifter, once the shift is made the gears are licked in with dogs and really cant slip out unless the linkage is moved, JMO

And not sure if this has anything to do with it said:
That is normal, the "6" light goes on only in 6th gear, with the clutch engaged. If you notice next time you ride, when you shift from 5-6, the light does not come on until you start to release the clutch.

Not sure this is a tranny problem, cant see how these trannys could jump out of gear, poor choice of wording on my post, I am leaning towards an ABS problem here. The only way it could change gears is by moving the shifter, once the shift is made the gears are licked in with dogs and really cant slip out unless the linkage is moved, JMO

If you hit those rumble strips hard enough it will pop out of gear:D

I agree with Jack 100%. I can't see it being a tranny problem.

Back