free website stats program The Nose Hurts | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

The Nose Hurts

The SPF rating system is currently variable. There is a push to standardize the testing procedure but it has not been adopted "across the board" yet. If I remember correctly anything over SPF 45 is "off the scale" and not linear such that it is difficult to compare SPF 80 vs. 50 etc... Then there is the issue of UV-A and UV-B....

I don't understand the post about only burning where sunblock was applied. I can't see how what was applied was a sunblock but: if you really want to stop burning and you are sensative to burning (either from wind, UV or both) look to those who live in a UV drenched environment: Inuit/Eskimos and Desert dwellers. Physically covering the skin with a garment is the only thing that works all of the time.

Your body chemistry can also impact how long a lotion works. Perhaps the way your ride is set up and how you sit, UV is focused at your face? Then sunscreens would degrade very rapidly. Add some sweat (lower pH) to that and more reflection from sunglasses and you may only have 20 minutes of protection from SPF 50 that is a year old sitting in your closet. (If it is an organic based sunblock, they don't last forever.) Remember the SPF system is based off of YOUR sensitivity to the sun. If you can stand 20 minutes without getting burned (no sunscreen) SPF 15 would give you 5 hours of protection: meaning you would receive a 20 minute burn after being in the sun for 5 hours, in a perfect world. Some UV always gets through the lotion.

I would support the advice to get a full face hemet or a face mask. Remeber UV can reflect from many surfaces when you are on a motocycle compared to a car. Sometimes getting used to protection is uncomfortable at first, but in my opion it is a long term investment (like wearing ear plugs). Hope you find something that works for you.
Thanks Porter, that is some good information. I will add that I worked outside for many years and while I would work in shorts and short sleeve shirts, I never had much problems with burning. I worked with a couple of guys who did have issues in the sun and they would work in long sleeve light colored shirts and one guy in particular would work in a long sleeve tee shirt and a hooded sweat shirt.

On another note, I never had much problem with my nose burning in work conditions, but if I'm on the water, riding, or at an air show where I am in the direct sun my nose will get a pretty bad burn. If I can remember sun screen, I do better.

One other thing to think about, after I did some data digging:
SPF 30 blocks about 95% while it is effective. So, anything above that SPF factor and you are in the noise of the assay as far as variables go (personal chemistry, intensity of the UV, personal sensitivity) and squabbling over 5%. It is probably better and cheaper to simply apply the lotion more often than to buy a higher SPF lotion and think you can go longer without it. Remeber: UV is energy and it is destroying the active ingredients (in organic based sunscreens). That's mainly how they work. (Just like UV fading your paint, the energy has to go somewhere.)

My nose is a bit bigger than usual and always gets fried. I try to use SPF90 when I remember. As people have said, use it often. I always apply dry skin cream to my nose after it burns, several times a day. I also always get "raccoon" eyes where my glasses have been and a white stripe where my helmet's strap has been. I haven't found a cure for that yet :)

I had a spot removed from my nose about 6 months ago. The doctor told me once you have one of these "pre-cancerous" spots, you are more likely to develop more of them. He also said that I had to use sunblock and apply it several times a day and to use SPF30 - that anything above that wasn't doing me any better.

If you dig around you will find that any sunblock over spf30 is no better and a waste of money, spf30 will do all that any of the higher spf's will do. The key is repetitive application.
This probably will not help the OP's situation, as he has stated he has done this. Zinc Oxide, all be it not the greatest look, would be the best bet. Life guards use it for a reason, as do a large portion of skiers and snowboarders. Quite simply, it works.

Best of luck!

Back