free website stats program The Nose Hurts | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

The Nose Hurts

I had some skin cancer cut out in December and the Dr. recommended I wear SPF85 sunblock. Problem is, sunblock doesn't work for me when riding. I now wear a bandana across my face (a bandit sort of look), that keeps the sun off and seems to keep me cooler (temp-wise). I get a lot of weird looks, but I'd rather deal with that than the constant burn & peel.

Everyone has given excellent advice. You can speed up the recovery time by putting some aloe vera on your nose. It works best if you use the live plant. I just cut open a branch and there is jelly inside that you rub onto the skin and just let it dry. It is liquid skin food that got rid of my sunburn last week in 3 days. I applied it 3 or 4 times each day. [It was my first day at the beach this summer & I forgot the sunblock.] You can also buy it in cream form at a pharmacy or health food store. Home Depo or other plant nursery might stock the plant.

Anytime you are outdoors (and not on your Harley) you might want to wear a wide brim hat. I have one rated SP100. While you are riding, you can wear a Scorpion EXO-100 half helmet. It has a retractable shield that could block the sun if you use the interchange able tinted lens.

Good Luck!

I also have the problem of a sunburned nose. I noticed that my nose would get burned easier and easier. Down to having little water blisters on it. Not attractive, and certainly not comfortable. When I'm not wearing my full face I use a spf75 sunblock. That works for me.

I have the same problem. After getting some skin cancer removed last year, my nose is more sensitive to sunburn than ever. I use as high an SPF as I can find and still get burned. Some aloe vera gel usually helps relieve the burn after the fact, but there's not much out there that will actually prevent it, especially in the summer sun.

I'm just north of you in S.E. Georgia and I ride in the sun all the time. I usually use SPF 30 or better and don't have a huge problem. Yeah, my nose will get bright red and be sore if I don't use the sunscreen, so I try to remember it. What about a band-aid? Just put it over the spot that get burned the most and see if it will block the sun. Just might work!!

Last edited:
The SPF rating system is currently variable. There is a push to standardize the testing procedure but it has not been adopted "across the board" yet. If I remember correctly anything over SPF 45 is "off the scale" and not linear such that it is difficult to compare SPF 80 vs. 50 etc... Then there is the issue of UV-A and UV-B....

I don't understand the post about only burning where sunblock was applied. I can't see how what was applied was a sunblock but: if you really want to stop burning and you are sensative to burning (either from wind, UV or both) look to those who live in a UV drenched environment: Inuit/Eskimos and Desert dwellers. Physically covering the skin with a garment is the only thing that works all of the time.

Your body chemistry can also impact how long a lotion works. Perhaps the way your ride is set up and how you sit, UV is focused at your face? Then sunscreens would degrade very rapidly. Add some sweat (lower pH) to that and more reflection from sunglasses and you may only have 20 minutes of protection from SPF 50 that is a year old sitting in your closet. (If it is an organic based sunblock, they don't last forever.) Remember the SPF system is based off of YOUR sensitivity to the sun. If you can stand 20 minutes without getting burned (no sunscreen) SPF 15 would give you 5 hours of protection: meaning you would receive a 20 minute burn after being in the sun for 5 hours, in a perfect world. Some UV always gets through the lotion.

I would support the advice to get a full face hemet or a face mask. Remeber UV can reflect from many surfaces when you are on a motocycle compared to a car. Sometimes getting used to protection is uncomfortable at first, but in my opion it is a long term investment (like wearing ear plugs). Hope you find something that works for you.

Back