free website stats program the motor turns over but it will not fire. I need help | Harley Davidson Forums

the motor turns over but it will not fire. I need help

lewis

I was out rideing the bike just stalled out and now the bike will not start at all. The starter motor dose try to turn the bike over. I did check the battery and it is only 4 mo old. I have power to every thing. I did checked the whole wire harness. I did look at the spark plugs and the coil packs. The voltage regulator was replaced and the generator was repaired back in april of 2011. I am still have problems and I am not sure what else I may need to check. Can any one please help me? I am going nuts trying to find this problem.

I was out rideing the bike just stalled out and now the bike will not start at all. The starter motor dose try to turn the bike over. I did check the battery and it is only 4 mo old. I have power to every thing. I did checked the whole wire harness. I did look at the spark plugs and the coil packs. The voltage regulator was replaced and the generator was repaired back in april of 2011. I am still have problems and I am not sure what else I may need to check. Can any one please help me? I am going nuts trying to find this problem.

So, do you have spark at the plugs and fuel? Any new mods to the bike? Is this an older points triggered ignition?

Thank you, Jack and how are you today. I have electronic ignition and I do not have a magneto or points. I did put a test light to both coil packs and both coils did light up. My bike has 2 spark plugs per cylinder head. So I am thinking that maybe my plug wires and plugs may need to be replaced.

Thanks,Glider. I did look there but it was not helpful. There is not a thing on 77 IRONHEAD XL , XLCH no wire digrams what so ever. I know I have a very hard bike to find out any thing about it any were LOL. But I am still going nuts with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you every one :D

A frened of mine gave me a number to a buddy of his that runs a Harley shop. The guy at the shop told me to remove the electronic pickup from the timeing cover. I did that and found thing that looks like a drum that was broken off from the crank shaftthat is held in place with a bolt. The guy ar the shop said that is what is wrong with the bike and that it would cost about $5.00 to replace it. GOD bless and I hope that this may help some one with there Harley.

Back