free website stats program The many threads on worn cam chain tensioners | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

The many threads on worn cam chain tensioners

I had 60,000 miles on my 02 FLHTC when I changed the tensioner shoes. They were worn pretty good and I sure wouldn't recommend waiting that long.

Ijust checked my 05 SEEG and the tensioners looked to have almost zero wear. I'm planning on checking them every 20k or so, but they look llike they could go 100k easy. The bike had 25k when I bought it so it is possible they were already changed, but my guess is mine are not prone to wear.

I've seen many write ups on upgrading the cams. One thing I've never seen anyone do and it seems really simple to me. But I miss things I didn't when I was young so tell me if I'm off here.

Seems I see a lot of "How can I be sure cylinder "A" is at TDC of the compression stroke. There's no need to spend time locating TDC on the compression stroke on a cylinder to adjust push rods. Here's a fast way taken from my old air cooled VW dune buggy days where adjusting valves was a frequent thing.

Before you assemble the cams in the cam plate insert the front cam in the inner bearing. Align the base circle of the cam with the lifter bores. Make a mark on the outer end of the cam pointing straight up. Do the same with the rear cam, making a mark on the pulley. Assemble everything as normal up to pushrod adjustment. Align the mark you made on the front cam straight up and adjust front pushrods. Ditto for the rear.

Awesome... What brand & grade of engine oil do you use...
I just got the bike in Sept and it has 28k on it now. I have no idea what the previous owner was using but whatever it was, it worked well. There are some really good threads on what oils to use in depending on the application. i'm going to utilize the advice of more experienced owners.

I just did a gear drive conversion on a 01 road glide with 52,000.
The tensioners were pretty bad and was glad I never have to deal with that worry again.
Had to rebuild a motor on a customers 2000 RK last year at 24,000 due to the tensioners failing and clogging the oil pump.

just bought a 06 street glide with 30000 miles on it. just wondered what all is involved in checking cam chain shoes?

Back