free website stats program The have & the have nots | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

The have & the have nots

As I read through the responses, I realize just what a great membership this site (HDT) has. Thank you for all of the stories, they have help heal my ego and many have had me LOL. Thank you also for the concern of my knee. It is 6 days past and the knee is much better. The fact that you have shared these stories with all of us says alot about all of you.

I have not yet been back in the saddle, not because I am worried, but because I am waiting for the knee to be good enough incase I need it again. Actually, I cannot WAIT to ride again.

I have an "Advanced Rider Course" tomorrow and I will be there.

While I am sorry I joined this exclusive club, I am proud to be assotiated the with many good people that comprise the membership. Thanks for accepting my appication :s

1970 San Diego. Wet road. Going to fast to stop behind a car at a stop sign. Hit the brakes slid under their rear end. Missed crushing my leg between the bike and bumper by 1/2 inch. Haven't road too fast anywhere anytime since.

turns out he had just removed the sidecar and forgot it was not there :D

Too funny Hobbit... I watched a GW go over in front of me one time but he wasn't laughing and he had no explanation either, he just wanted out of there... As for me... yup, been there, wet wooden ramp going into our bike shed, put my right foot down, slipped and over I went, no damage to the bike or to me...

Another member here. But I haven't participated since around 1993. Hope I don't participate again either.

had a 2up bike go down behind me yesterday. i was slowed almost
stopped at an intersection waiting to turn left had 4 on coming cars 3
going straight last one was a left turner also, i waited for the 3
cars to pass, made sure the oncoming left turner was really going to
stop to turn. he slowed in the intersection, so i went through. the
bike behind me must have started going straight the same time the
oncoming car started left also. he locked up the front and went down,
dont know if it was intentional bail but by the time i got through the
intersection came to a stop to turn back to look, he already had his
bike back up and passenger was just getting off the ground. checked
for wounds and they were off. the car might have assumed we were
together? dont know but it freaked me out. watch for lefty!

Lifting up a bike on it's side requires TECHNIQUE that is best learned in the comfort of your garage, your favorite ride on soft cardboard and terry towels, good idea to drain the gas or most of it.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/touring_models/63-how_heavy.html

Here is a link to how even a 5' 2" gal can pick up a BMW Adventure bike on it's side (those bikes are tall and top heavy)...

Pink Ribbon Rides

Oh...I "joined" the club in November 2009...parking lot, hit speed bump, high centered bike, stopping bike cold...gggeeennnlllyyy lowered it down on to the rightside engine guard...minor scrape on the right highway peg and scuffed my boot :27: No harm no foul...did you notice how strong you become (or how light the bike got) when adrenelin is pumping? :newsmile105:

Thanks for the tip, no pun intended, I will try this techique to lift my bike back up. Tipped it once at the local bar and it was quite embarassing because I couldn't right it.

Isnt it amazing that once you get to a certain angle your going down no matter what:s

Isnt it amazing that once you get to a certain angle your going down no matter what:s

That reminds me, I was moving a Honda CX500 and I was standing at the left side of the bike,I tried to put the kick-stand down with my foot but because the bike was in a slight hollow it was touching down before it was fully forward.I picked the bike up slightly and it overbalanced away from me,once it was past about 10 degrees of lean I couldn't stop it.I should've let go at that point but didn't,the bike went down and I ended up lying on top of it looking like a beached whale.

Once was my 82 sporty. I was in the center turn lane when a car kept coming straight at me. It was like we were playing chicken only I was stopped. I layed in down and jumped out of the way when they saw me at the last minute. Another time I was backing down a gravel driveway and it got away from me. It was going over and I couldn't stop it so I layed it down as gently as I could.

I'm in. Every bike I"ve ever owned - at least once- except the RK. (yet)
Reading this makes me think I should go out to the garage and knock the Jiffystand out from under it just to get it over with.

Hillarious!:D

As I read through the responses, I realize just what a great membership this site (HDT) has. Thank you for all of the stories, they have help heal my ego and many have had me LOL. Thank you also for the concern of my knee. It is 6 days past and the knee is much better. The fact that you have shared these stories with all of us says alot about all of you.

I have not yet been back in the saddle, not because I am worried, but because I am waiting for the knee to be good enough incase I need it again. Actually, I cannot WAIT to ride again.

I have an "Advanced Rider Course" tomorrow and I will be there.

While I am sorry I joined this exclusive club, I am proud to be assotiated the with many good people that comprise the membership. Thanks for accepting my appication :s

Hope the advanced course helps. I have not dropped mine yet, but know I will at some point. Low speed and a panic grab of the brake is almost inevitable. One habit I developed from the advanced safety course was using only my rear brake at low speed. During some of the low speed skills, the instructors told us to rev the engine while dragging the rear brake. The revving helps keep the bike upright at low speed from the engine torque. Since you are working the clutch and reving, you can't really grab the front brake. Anyway, it became a habit for me in that I use both brakes till about 20 mph and then rely on the rear only from that point on through stops and control in low speed turns. To each his/her own, but it is something to think about.:D

Back