free website stats program the future HD | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

the future HD

Future HD liquid cooled VS air cooled V Twin?

• Yes, I can't wait for it!

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • Cautiously optimistic

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • Not too sure about it

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • I HATE the idea. Leave it alone, its a legend!

Votes: 45 43.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
All i can say is that we have to many sheep. Instead of telling Harley to change tell the EPA to back off! they have already cost enough jobs and give Califorina back to Mexico there the down fall of the country with there CARB. Keep the air cooled twin:bigsmiley12:

Amen Moses....Amen.

All i can say is that we have to many sheep. Instead of telling Harley to change tell the EPA to back off! they have already cost enough jobs and give Califorina back to Mexico there the down fall of the country with there CARB. Keep the air cooled twin:bigsmiley12:

Hey, I am in California and no, I was born and raised in this country, worked hard all my life, paid all my bills, mortgage and taxes just like everyone else...we all should be a PR person for our sport, it means we bear a great responsiblility for future riders like my grand children, if there is to be a sport left even with this economy.

As Harley riders we must respect rights and freedoms associated with the wind in our face, it is a privilege. It is not the EPA or any other regulatory bodies that make us suffer...it is the UNINFORMED people in the MAJORITY who DO NOT RIDE that are making these decisions for us. PROMOTE our sport by respecting those who do not ride or they WILL regulate us away! :small3d031:

First and second amendment rights are maintained through education and example, not just voicing opinions by naysaying or excluding minorities (we are included here), or other people's rights! While I do like loud pipes, I CHOOSE to put baffles in to keep the neighbors happy, lest the letter of law comes down on me. :42:

If someone cuts you off, do not retaliate...BE NICE...if kid looks at you in astonishment or fear...take off your sunglasses or helmet (if you are able), and SMILE wide or wave to show that you enjoy the thing you love...that WE are REAL PEOPLE that have FUN, will stay in their minds when they become our future legistslators of tomorrow! :D

Last edited:
I keep reading this statement. Please explain to me why there are countless air cooled engines out there with 100K + miles on them if heat is such a killer. Sorry, I don'y buy it. I am not saying heat is good, just it is not the "killer" you say it is. How long does HD have to produce reliable V Twins to stop this myth? I know they are not perfect, but neither are the metrics. Personally I will take HD over any metric anyday. Its not all about perfection and there is not that much difference IMO. They have proven to be good reliable engines IMO.:newsmile107:

Even HD reconized the rear cylinder heat problem that is why they put in the rear cylinder shut down feature in the newer bikes , that is also why you have different air/fuel ratios between the front & rear cylinders . When it is a 100 degrees plus & your bike is heated up & you stop @ a traffic light for along time the heat issue will cross your mind & you cant wait to get moving again. Heat is a killer of all engines not just air cooled , just drain the coolant from your car & see how long it will run .

I have to agree with BigLew and Hobbit on this one.
I think that if HD comes out with any other water cooled models, the tourings would be the most logical choice for those powerplants. IMHO, I don't think that it would necessarily be a bad thing.

Even HD reconized the rear cylinder heat problem that is why they put in the rear cylinder shut down feature in the newer bikes , that is also why you have different air/fuel ratios between the front & rear cylinders . When it is a 100 degrees plus & your bike is heated up & you stop @ a traffic light for along time the heat issue will cross your mind & you cant wait to get moving again. Heat is a killer of all engines not just air cooled , just drain the coolant from your car & see how long it will run .

Like I said, I agree heat is a bad thing. I am just saying it is not a killer. If it was HD would have been out of business a long time ago. I keep reading the heat is going to kill your bike. History has proved this a myth. Air cooled engines have survived and will continue to, even with the "Killer" heat. Just look at all the air cooled bikes with high miles and still going. People make it sound like death of your bike is imenent. Not true. Way too many bikes already proved this wrong. Ride safe.

Total agreement with you on this one.
...I have been lucky I must have been buying the HD's that did not have these problems.

Not lucky, just well maintained by you, a loyal ridership following and the fact MOCO has had many years to refine the V-Twin craft...only question now is whether they can maintain their higher level of quality in spite of their heavy cost of doing business, losses in ridership, sales alongside the intense pressures to be competitive in this global economy...

I went to a test-ride event yesterday, and it seemed there were very few younger people trying out the bikes. Most were in their 40s to 60s, and I think my wife was one of very few women riding.

While the classic styling is good, and it's difficult from a distance to tell the difference from a mid-90s model and a 2009 model, I really think the styling needs to be updated if Harley wishes to attract the younger market. It's an evolutionary thing that every vehicle manufacturer (auto, motorcycle, boats, etc) needs to go through. This could explain why the StreetGlide has become so popular; it's been made sleeker by deleting a lot of the chrome protection bars, and has been given a lower, more aggressive, posture as opposed to the "geezer-glides".

About the only model that is really competitive with the sport market, IMO, is the V-Rod. The riding position is very different however, which may be a turn-off for the younger market. The Sportys being marketed to the youth market still look like the mid-50's design with some add-ons. Perhaps the MOCO could rebound quicker with a redesign of the basic lines of the cruiser bike; give a model sleeker lines, a little less chrome, bright paint schemes, and more affordably priced for the younger market.

Think about it, part of GM's and Chrysler's problems today is they didn't update their styling quickly enough to compete with foreign makers, and stuck by the large vehicles when consumers were looking for smaller and less expensive.

I'm not saying the MOCO should do away with tourers; that's their best line by some peoples' opinions. What I'm saying is the models considered more as entry and mid-level models might benefit the company's health through updated styling.

Change is needed in order to make it 100 more years. look what is happening with the big 3 now. HD needs to win over a younger crowd, I know we love the Vtwin the Hard fact is HD is losing market share and fast. Not only to improrts EU,Asia,and China now. oh yes and now Power Scooters, with auto shifting.

as for me +1 on the water cooled bike I would buy one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back