free website stats program The Embarrassment Continues (long) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

The Embarrassment Continues (long)

I do most of my riding out in New Jersey's Pine Barrens. There are a lot of long roads and the occaisional intersection. Since these byways are not widely travelled, they receive little maintenance; that is sketchy pothole repair and they never see a street sweeper. Hence, the intersections tend to get pockets of sand that washes their way during rain storms. I have learned, the hard way, to approach these intersections at low speeds and to scan for these pockets of sand. Like you, I caught a front tire one day long ago, and went down. Like you, I fortunately wasn't hurt, but it was a lesson learned. On the rare time that I ride with someone new to these roads, at the first intersection we come to, I always stop and point out the sand pockets.

Great story & glad it has a semi-happy ending (no injury/major damage). The ending is, pardon my pun, too funny w/the Beatles track. Glad all is well & keep riding along...

1) Dress for the fall, not the ride. There is no doubt that even a low speed spill onto a soft surface can ding you up. You never know when you’ll go over so always gear up.

I like that statement
I live in an area that usually has foul weather so i have always geared up appropriately with stuff suitable for a fall and bad weather
however you will never know when you will need the protective gear as i have never known anyone that has planned to come off their bike as most of us already know there is a very good chance that you will a some time end up on the ground with a bike on top of you

Brian

The Embarrassment Continues (long)

So how about it? Has anyone else had an incident or experience where the music you were listening to matched the event?
Bo

Glad you and the better half are OK with nothing worse than a bruised ego.:cheers

Those crawl speed upsets can be pretty funny. Can still be a pain in the paint and chrome but at least not bone shattering.

I've usually got the radio off so can't relate that way. The perfect music usually plays in my head on those oh-so-perfect rides that just make the feeling that much memorable.

(So how about it? Has anyone else had an incident or experience where the music you were listening to matched the event?)Bo[/QUOTE]

Back in June I became a Grandfather, My Granddaughter was born 8 weeks early, healthy but had to stay in the hospital for 1 month. Everyday when I was done with work I was too dirty and sweaty to go to the hospital to see her, so one Saturday morning my Daughter and Son in law were going to be at the hospital, so I thought I'll ride my bike over to see them and the baby. I was listening to The Eagles - Hell Freezes over, Pulled into the hospital parking lot and spotted my Daughters car, pulled in and parked right next to them, the next thing I was trying to hold up the bike but the bike won, down it went. My first time. I knew it would happen some day and it did. I stood and looked at it for a second, turned and looked at the hospital and the 200 hundred windows on that side of the hospital, Well someone had to be looking out one or more of those windows. Took all I had to get the bike back up. Couldn't tell you what song was playing when IT happened. Well I went in to see my Granddaughter, nurse asked if Grandpa wants to hold her, as my Son in law handed her to me he told me that I was the first to hold her. After visiting was over I told my Son in law I dropped the bike in the parking lot, of course now he jokes if he knew I just dropped the bike he wouldn't have let me hold the baby. After leaving the hospital and taking the long way home I still couldn't believe I dropped the bike, kinda keeps going through your head, then the Eagles CD started over, 1st song -Get Over It - I thought - really get over it, it happened, it's done, and I got over it.

Hats off to your lovely bride. You , like me, have a gem of a wife. It's good to know that you two were unscathed and found humor in it all. We sound like we're the same age/married years group. My Ultra won the battle of weight vs little guy, three times. Each time, just my ego banged up. That said...I/we won many, many more times..The first year with a heavy bike put me through a tough learning curve. I had to 'unlearn' a few things that came natural from many years of riding much smaller bikes. Although I've come to be very comfortable with the Ultra, I am also very aware that I can , easily, make a mistake to add one to the 'win' column for the bike.

Important thing is you were both OK. In response to your last question, I was traveling along one beautiful day listening to my tunes. The i pod was playing "Runnin on empty" by Jackson Brown when the lugger started to spit and sputter. I was enjoying the ride so much I forgot to keep an eye on my fuel situation. Switched over to the reserve and hunted for a gas station. The irony of it all.
Stay safe and keep it on two.

Back