free website stats program The difference is what? | Harley Davidson Forums

The difference is what?

Im sure this topic has been covered a thousand times. I own a 2003 Dyna and a 2004 Heritage. Two years ago I moved to Mobil-1 20w-50 vtwin oil. Both bikes run and sound so much better. The shifting is smooth in both, no more Harley clunk! I run this in all three holes on both bikes. Engine runs cooler and just over all bike is better. I have been shopping on-line and can't believe how much prices have rocketed. I have been looking into the Mobil-1 15w-50 in the 5 gallon jug? Is anyone running this? Any info will be helpful. I know there are other oils out there but I really like the Mobil-1. Will I be OK going to the 15w-50? Why is 20w-50 labeled v-twin and the other is not? I'd like to stick to using it in all three holes. When I travel, if something happens it makes it so much easier if getting oil is required (if I dont carry it onboard). Let me know what you think...Thanks

I'd like to stick to using it in all three holes.

I understand your reasoning but most members here will highly recommend that you use a more appropriate fluid for which it's specifically designed in each of the three holes.

Most air cooled engine oils have extra phosphorus and zinc added for wear. Mobil 15/50 has .0004% less zinc and phos. additives than Mobil1 Vtwin does. In my world .0004% means it's the same. If you think your bike shifts nice with 20/50, try Mobil1 75/90, or some other brand of heavier transmission specific lube.
I use Mobil1 Vtwin just because I feel extra good with it. My buddy has over 100,000 trouble free miles (two bikes) using the Mobil1 15/50, and he only changes at 10,000 mile intervals.

My friend uses Mobil1 75/90 in his trans. and whatever is handy in his primary. There's no trans. or primary lube that everyone agrees is best. MOST big twin owners prefer a special gear lube in the 75/90 to 90/140 range. I have used many brands and personally prefer the 90/140 overall. Personally I don't have a favorite brand. But like Spectro, Mobil and Redline, all about $20 a qt.
Primary fluid is another that there is no proven "best". I like Harley's Formula + in my Electra Glide, and a cheap brand 30w in my Dyna. The only thing many agree on for the primary is the oil should not contain "friction modifiers", it's rumored to cause clutch slippage.

Take a look at the different polls here on the forum and see what members are using in in all 3 holes and why. Dr.D made a good point, most do not use the same fluids in all 3 hole for obvious reasons. Everyone has their own opinion on what works best, I say use what works for you.:s

I use Mobil One 20W50 in all 3 holes on all 3 of my Harleys (2 Fatboys and a Road King). I'm very happy with the performance. I recently was in the bottom end and the tranny of the RK. Looks like new down there....JMHO

Mobile One is available at most Advance auto parts stores nationwide. Usually on sale in spring for a month. Some Wally Worlds carry it at a good price all year round.

Back