free website stats program The Big Oil secret | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

The Big Oil secret

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I'm a newbie on this HD TALKING ...and it takes me a while to figure things out...where to go and look and what to type.

I'm just trying to figure out the BEST oil/gear lube etc...for the type of climate....that I can expose my bike to in just one day.

We have such a vast climate in Alberta Canada...Badlands 100 + degrees Mountians 32 (just above freezing.)

Than there is the long months of storage..... 5 months.( with temps getting 40- ) I wonder about condensation / Rust???

I Change ALL my oils in the spring...before I start riding again.

So I guess my guestions are...BEST oil weight for Engine and Primary?
Gear Lube for Tranny ?
For My 2008 FXDC ...which also has Stage 1.

With my ONE oil hole bikes ( Yammies ) I had before... it was never a problem.

I have read a lot about Syn / Dino....Syn.. seems to be the way to go with the HOT/COOL temps for the Dyna...as it seems to work better in a wide range of temps....less breaking down.

As Far as WHICH BRAND.....everyone has their favorite...as I do mine...Mobil Dino/Syn or AMSOIL.

I have ran both in my dirt bikes...and they both are great...never any problems....the bikes get hot and are run hard...come oil change time...the oil still looks good !!!!........there again ONE hole bikes!!!

Thanks again for everyones valued input.

more world peace please!

smile on the inside too!!

I'm new to this HD TALKING stuff too...but so far everyone has been very helpful.

I haven't figured out everything..but I'm getting better.

I'm new to this HD TALKING stuff too...but so far everyone has been very helpful.

I haven't figured out everything..but I'm getting better.

Lots to learn,when you are used to a metric bike.

Old dog,new tricks.......you know the routine:)

What weights do you run...Engine? Primary ? Tranny ?

I am a Millwright in a Print shop ( Presses are 2 stories high and 175' long )and I deal with oils all the time.

We have 100s of different spots where oil goes...I used a heat gun and checked the temps ( over 5 days running ) of 4 different gear boxes...which had 80w90 dino oil in them...then I changed the oil to 75w90 syn oil ( brand don't matter )...and the temp went down 10 to 20 degrees...in one box it went down 40 degrees...I am in the process of changing the rest of the boxes to Syn.

I am convinced that Syn would make my bike run cooler...but I won't know until spring when I switch over...but first I am going to run the bike with the Dino oil in it...take some Temp readings...then switch to Syn...and take new readings.

If anyone cares I will post my findings...I know this OIL thing is getting a little old...that's why I am going to do my own test!

more world peace please!

I hear a lot about amsoil and the terms "propaganda and false claims", where is the proof that they use propaganda and false claims? I never lose sight that all the info here is in fact, just the poster's opinion about what ever the topic is. The only things I've ever known to really be bad about Amsoil, is people's opinion of the company. How do I know that the one's claiming that Amsoil uses 'propaganda and false claims' aren't in reality just stock holders of the other leading brand. besides, if they were using false claims the other brands would be screaming, 'FOUL'... I for one, take everything said here with a grain of salt. I'm 57 and have used the same oil all my life without any problems, as I have friends who have used the other top oil with the same results. I know one thing for sure, change your oil at regular intervals using the best oils you can afford. Synthetics, in my opinion, don't belong in with the wet clutch. Redline, Amsoil, mobil or whatever, they all lube your bearings, its the unchanged filters and dirty oil that kills your engine's life. Believe what you want, just keep changing that filter and oil often.....:D there's nothing like a well lubed piston.....:D

Back