free website stats program The Big: "Here's how I fixed that rattle" thread | Harley Davidson Forums

The Big: "Here's how I fixed that rattle" thread

Safehaven

Hey Guys 'n Gals,

Since everyone experiences some rattle or unnerving sound on their bikes at one point or the other, I thought it would be nice to group all issues in this thread.

What I expect to see is the following:

- Short explanation of the problem, what it sounded like and where it came from
- What you did to fix it.

Let's go!
Kris

Let me start by giving this advice.

Don't make the mistake of jumping to the conclusion that something horrible is wrong with your bike if you start hearing a new noise. Consider all these easy, possible solutions first:

1. Did you recently switch helmets, jackets, glasses, or anything else that could cause an unfamiliar noise?

2. Did you pick up a piece of paper or stick or anything that could be stuck out of sight but moves around when the bike is in motion?

3. Carefully check the contents of all saddlebags, tour packs, windshield pouches, etc.

I kept having a awfull rattle on my batwing faring..I thought some thing was broke or something.... come to find out it was a pac of Tic-Tacs in my windsheild bag making the awfull rattleing....:newsmile030:

I kept hearing a soft "click, rattle" noise. I knew it was coming from the front end. It was the "Heritage Softail" script on the front fender. Pushnuts were loose. Got new pushnuts and problem was solved.

The radio will make strange noises sometimes like a tamborine or some other stange noise. Your rolling down the highway in some little dream world and you pick up on some new sound , darn radio.
Ken

I had a rattle driving me nuts, sounded just like it was coming from the front cylinder head. I looked for it everywhere, finally I was washing the bike one day and found that the fancy little flat chrome head bolt cover had come loose. It was just laying on the flat spot around the spark plug. Duh!

Bike developed an annoying squeaky rattle that seemed to be coming from the upper cylinder area somewhere, but was only present at an idle or in neutral, like parked or at a light. Turned out it was my right foot board rattling. Drove me nuts until I found it. Took a while to figure out it was when my foot was off the board.

I had a strange squeak coming from the front end/handlebars one day. After some investigation I discovered that my handlebar riser bolts were loose....That could have been dangerous!! Fortunately I found the problem and corrected it before anything bad happened.

I also had a squeak coming from the rear suspension one day. It turned out to be nothing some WD-40 couldn't fix.

I remember the post by a member that had a rattle from the front end and just could not find the part that was making the noise. Turned out to be the visor on his helmet. Listen to Doc, not all noises mean inpending doom.

I remember the post by a member that had a rattle from the front end and just could not find the part that was making the noise. Turned out to be the visor on his helmet. Listen to Doc, not all noises mean inpending doom.

I threw a visor away because of this recently. Like to drove me nuts!

Back