free website stats program The best cleaning tip I ever got! | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

The best cleaning tip I ever got!

Not much help on melted plastic/vinyl or whatever that material is that those wind pants are made of.

danthern, try using a little Pledge (or some type of cleaner just for moisture) and the edge of a penny or nickle to scrap it off. Both of these coins metal are softer than the chrome and will not scratch the chrome. I use a penny or nickle due to the lack of having a serrated edge.

I have scraped all sorts of debri from my pipes this way - i.e. bug splatter, boot marks, road debri, etc.

And no, using a nickle will not work 5 times faster than the penny!!!:D

Roger

danthern, try using a little Pledge (or some type of cleaner just for moisture) and the edge of a penny or nickle to scrap it off. Both of these coins metal are softer than the chrome and will not scratch the chrome. I use a penny or nickle due to the lack of having a serrated edge.

I have scraped all sorts of debri from my pipes this way - i.e. bug splatter, boot marks, road debri, etc.

And no, using a nickle will not work 5 times faster than the penny!!!:D

Roger

Thanks for the tip, I would have never thought of that. I'll try it tomorrow! I use steel wool as well but this stuff is still thick. Thanks again! Pearls of wisdom from the forum....

The nickle worked great! Thanks for the tip Fatboy, thats definately one I'll use again (and again and again). Finished it up with a little 0000 steel wool (Tommy LT) and it's shining like a new penny! Thanks again, great tip!!

Another real easy way to clean gunk off of pipes that nothing else will remove is to crumple up a little bit of tin foil and rub it over the gunk. It is softer than chrome and takes the gunk off just like a penny, nickle, or dime will. A little chrome polish afterward doesn't hurt.

3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner. Bought my can at a Auto Paint Store to remove factory decals off my tow behind air compressor. It is orginally for removing masking tape residue off new paint jobs but it is amazing the sticky /tacky stuff it will remove. Any of those situations where a label or reflector was in place and now isn't. That adhesive backed foam takes it all off and fast

Now that everyone knows how to clean pipes, I wonder if anyone wants to buy my old stock exhaust system with nicely broken-in Rhinehardts on them? I hate to hang them in my shop for ever and not use them...

I used 0000 steel wool with chrome polish on my chrome pipes to remove my wifes boot makes with no problems .

Back