free website stats program The American Worker | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

The American Worker

Talk about American workers. How about all of the ones that lost their jobs when Chrysler took government bail out money to keep them in business, then promptly shut down a plant in St. Louis and sent Two Thousand jobs to Mexico. I love the looks of the new Challenger and the Ram trucks look nice, but no one will ever see me in a Chrysler showroom again. And by the way, GM keeps claiming that new Camaro to be the rebirth of the "American Muscle Car", Well the last time I looked at a map, Canada was not it the United States.

Like DakotaRob and others have mentioned, the offshore thing is not working in general. The mega-corps are running out of countries that they can do whatever they want in, and the longer they use a country the more benefits local workers want.

Jobs will move back to the US, but the business climate here has changed significantly since they started off-shoring stuff. The biggest problem is all the EPA and safety regulations that have been imposed, and that means the same type of problems we currently see with the gas and oil industry.

- We have the land and resources to drill and refine oil here on US soil, but you will see very few drilling sites and probably never see a brand new refinery built on US soil again.

- Building any large scale manufacturing plant on US soil costs millions of dollars in regulations and study before the first shovel hits the dirt, and it can all come to a screeching halt if one shard of pottery or an endangered minnow is found within 10 miles of the place.

From what I have seen the US has legislated itself into a hostile environment to business. That is why the "growth sectors" of the economy are in services, and the biggest chance to make yourself rich is to be involved in a finance job where you charge a percentage fee off the top for how much money you handle regardless of if you grow or shrink the original bundle.

Even when jobs started heading off-shore America still led the world in education and the research and development that came out of a skilled population, but we have even lost the leadership position in that. Electronics are designed and built overseas with a token development team still in the US, but company management (Looking at you Apple) stays in the US and touts the products.

So one last example... The Tata is an Indian motor company. They have managed to design and build the cheapest car in the world. It sells brand new for around $2k over there. They have decided to bring the car to the US, but of course they need to add all the safety equipment and crash modifications to meet US law. All this modification is required by US laws to protect the safety of the users here instead of letting people decide they want to save money by risking their own lives with a tin can on wheels. Part of me agrees with all the requirements, and part of me screams that it should be left up to the free market to see if people will buy dirt cheap or insist on models with air bags and crumple zones. Since we do not have that choice the Tata (if approved) will sell here for $10k. Five times the price, and still will be the cheapest production car sold in the US. That is a simple example of the regulations in place that cause Americans making many multiples of a living wage in other countries to still be living under the poverty level here, because those kinds of regulations exists in every sector of the US economy which causes prices to be many multiples more than simple costs to build and sale items.

I enjoy knowing my future child's clothes will not burst into flame if they get near an open flame, and I would pay for that even if I had a choice of clothing fro the child at a 90% discount. However, I am an adult that can read instructions, take simple precautions, and use common sense, so I would love to see a cup of coffee that cost 10 cents and does not come in a special container with "caution contents hot" on it in 5 places instead of the $1.50 coffee with the warnings and their costs of risk factored in to protect themselves against a law suit I might file when I dump the coffee in my lap. Only in America can a simple fender bender car accident result in hundreds of thousand of dollars in court costs paid to lawyers and someone living the rest of their lives playing golf daily, or a company paying an "undisclosed sum" for dead family members in a sealed settlement while "admitting no fault" (looking at you Toyota).

You can find the book in the usual spots on the internet. I got a used copy for $7.

As for your example with the worlds cheapest car... you mention "Free Market". I believe the book will really help answer many things. Always remember the 2 initial caveats the author states in the introduction.

Back