free website stats program That First Noisy Shift of The Day? | Harley Davidson Forums

That First Noisy Shift of The Day?

Rod Stewart

Why is it that the first shift into 1st gear seems to be a heck of a bang, then after that shifts are kind of "normal" sounding? Seems like something happens after they sit overnight or for a few hours that causes this.
Could it be that the gear lube has more completely drained and the gears are running "drier"? Or are they a looser fit when cold?
Anyone else notice this?

I think they all do that, pull your clutch in, rock your scoot back and forth a couple times and drop it in gear, I bet it won't clunk.

The clutch plate may stick a bit first start of the day, pull the clutch in rock it back and forty like Jeff said, count to 5 and shift it

Hey guys, I have an 04 Dyna, it has 21k on it, been running Syn 3 in the tranny, is it too late to switch over
To a product like Redline shockproof, or is that recommended for the newer six speeds versions? Thanks

Redline shockproof is an excellent product for the tranny and no it's not to late.
I like the idea that it coats and sticks to the moving parts better than other products on the market.

The clutch plates tend to stick for the first shift. If the machine is in neutral, rocking it back and forth will not help. What you want is a difference between one side of the clutch and the other. Pull in your clutch, and hold it there for 20 seconds or so. Then, do several snappy engine revs. High revs are not necessary. It is the snappy difference that is important. You are trying to get the clutch to let go. I have not had a 1st shift clunk in quite some time.

I have not tried it, but I guess you could drop the machine into gear, before starting it, then rock it back and forth with the clutch pulled. When you feel he clutch let go, keep holding the clutch in, put her back in neutral, and start her up. You should be able to drop her into 1st without a big clunk. This way is a bit more complicated that the way I do it.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Thanks Jeff, how long have you been running redline products ?
Been running it for 3 years, scoot seems to shift better and finding neutral is a snap. Because of it's color (pink) you'll also be able to detect any tranny leaks.

If the machine is in neutral, rocking it back and forth will not help.

Must be all in my head but it works every time for me.:) OR maybe i'm not experiencing what i'm experiencing.:eek:

Last edited:
Running a better grade of trans oil and primary oil, my 08 FLH never does this. I also on cold start do not let warm up but for a minute or two then shift and off I go. Is clutch adjusted properly? Are you completely pulling lever into the bar? Try oscillating clutch a few times in neutral while running before shifting into 1st and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back