free website stats program tfi | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

tfi

O.K. I hope this isn't a dumb question. Where are most of you installing the TFI, under the seat? If so, then it sounds like you set the pod's, put the seat on, take it for a ride, remove the seat, change the pods, replace the seat, and take it for another ride. Is this the only way to find the right settings???

I installed my under the seat and run wires along the main harness to under the fuel tank.

Basically yes, you'll have to remove the seat on each run to make some adjustment and on my bike,remove the seat take roughly 10-15 seconds.

On most bike, the chart that came with the kit is very close to "set it and forget it" if you know what came with yours, I bought my bike used and I did not know if mine has been remap from the first owner or not so I have to play with it to get it where I wanted it.

The best part about the TFI is you can tune/retune your bike what and whenever you like, if you want to put on another set of pipes or different air cleaner later on, all you have to do is remove the seat, pop the cover off and it's right there, tune it 'till you want it without return to the dealer and pay for them to do it.

O.K. I hope this isn't a dumb question. Where are most of you installing the TFI, under the seat? If so, then it sounds like you set the pod's, put the seat on, take it for a ride, remove the seat, change the pods, replace the seat, and take it for another ride. Is this the only way to find the right settings???

Easiest way is to use a piece of the stick on velcro and put it on the dash or air cleaner cover until the adjusting is done. Run all the wires and such but leave the excess at the units end of the wires so when you are done you make a nice bundle and another piece of velcro and attach it permanent under the seat.There's enough length in the harness to do that.

:)I have the new HD super tuner and screamin eagle breather on my 09 ultra. It is still running HOT. Would i do any good installing the TFI also?

Smitty I am curious about HUGO. The syn3 in my bike is 300 miles old is it serious enough to get it out now or next oil change? They did put HD formula in the tranny!

actually i'm not sure what they put in the tranny. I complained about it being hard to get in first gear and noisy when it did go in. They said they were going to put something a little thicker than syn3 to help with this. I think i'll do my own oil changing in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smitty I am curious about HUGO. The syn3 in my bike is 300 miles old is it serious enough to get it out now or next oil change? They did put HD formula in the tranny!

actually i'm not sure what they put in the tranny. I complained about it being hard to get in first gear and noisy when it did go in. They said they were going to put something a little thicker than syn3 to help with this. I think i'll do my own oil changing in the future.

Oldgeezer:

No need to panic. At your next service, the fool proof combo is this:
Mobile One V Twin full synthetic in your crank. Amosoil is as good but not available eveywhere like Mobil One is. Mobil One is at most Auto part stores making it your best choice.

Use Spectro Tranny oil for 6 Speeds trannys. It is not everywhere but you only need it at services. I ordered 3 quarts, which will last me a long time since your change tranny fluids at 5K. It is specifically formulated for HD 6 speeds and is the best choice. When you use your last qt., order 3 more. No biggie.

Use HD Primary oil. It is fine and is again your best choice.

Don't make it complicated. Follow this advice and you will be doing the best for your ride for protection, and the best cooling combo out there.
Ride safe.

Back