free website stats program TFI settings change? | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI settings change?

the draggin

I just re-ringed my Evo. I left it sit too long and well it started blowing a lot of oil. So I have only 150 miles on the new rings and my mileage is really bad. I had left the settings where they were 2 years ago and I was getting 50mpg with two up riding. So I'm wandering should I back the settings down until the rings are fully seated (I believe they are) or maybe just ride it out and see. I have had the heads ported flowed and polished, 9.5 pistons and an Ev27 cam. Al these mods were done before the re-ring work.

I just re-ringed my Evo. I left it sit too long and well it started blowing a lot of oil. So I have only 150 miles on the new rings and my mileage is really bad. I had left the settings where they were 2 years ago and I was getting 50mpg with two up riding. So I'm wandering should I back the settings down until the rings are fully seated (I believe they are) or maybe just ride it out and see. I have had the heads ported flowed and polished, 9.5 pistons and an Ev27 cam. Al these mods were done before the re-ring work.

I would break it in on the rich side just change your oil sooner and smell for TOO much gas better to error on the rich side than lean

Thanks Jack. I pulled the plugs and they were as clean as when I put them in so I'll assume it is running lean. The bike runs good other than the gas mileage.

TRY setting the First pot (green) at about 2000 rpm . Moving the setting from 1 (off) up until it Bucks with too much fuel,,,, then back it off left until it runs Smooooooooth. That should be right....

Careful you don't over heat that new motor...:newsmile055:
Use a big fan blowing across the engine on the exhaust side...

Note THAT setting number and Please post it back here....:D
That is how you set Pot # 1....

signed....BUBBIE

Well I just reset the Green pot to just above the three o'clock position. The bottom of the slot in the pot is just touching the mark. We'll see how that works. The engine is smoother going up through the rpm range of off idle to 2K. I hope this gets my milage back. Thanks for the help.

How is your mileage now? Did you have the ported/flowed heads, pistons and EV27 cams in when you were getting 50 mpg?

Sorry it's been so long since I posted, but life gets in the way sometimws. Yes, I had all of the engine work done before the re-ring job. The Last time I rode it before the long lay-off my wife and I were both on the bike and on that ride I stopped to get gas and checked the mileage and I was getting 50.1 mpg. We were in a crash so the bike had to sit for awhile to be repaired and we healed. That's the reason for the re-ring. I currently have the green pot at about 2.5 the yellow at 4.5 the red at 5.5 and the last at 3. I am getting better mileage approximately 43mpg so no complaints but I am getting valve ping just off throttle when pulling out and when running from moderate throttle and accelerating up. I used premium grade gas 93 octane. Yesterday I was using 93 octane with 3 oz. of Lucas octane booster and still had the pinging. My ignition timing cannot be adjusted, It has lots of power when really getting on it but it seems weak when I just want to pull away, like a flat spot on light acceleration.

You may want to try to increase the Yellow a bit to see if this fixes the pinging. I would suggest really to turn the last dial to 4:00. That is our base setting anything below that would turn the red on too early.

Okay, so I rode really nice for this last tank of gas with the booster in and got the mileage up to 46 mpg but still have the pinging issue. I'll try the recomended settings and see if we can beat this pinging thing. I don't mind the lower mileage but the pinging is makin me nuts. If they would just give us some decent fuel to run maybe we wouldn't have such a hard time tuning.
Thanks for all your help and support.

If I have my tfi yellow any lower than 4 it pings..
My settings are 2.1/2. ,4 ,, 3 ,,4..
Free flowing a/c .. Krome works slipons no cat..late model flh..

Back