free website stats program TFI Problems on 2007 XL1200 | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI Problems on 2007 XL1200

perzaklie

I previously posted this under electrical until I found that this might be a more appropriated area. I apologize in advance for double posting, I just want to get it in the correct area.

I have a 2007 XL1200 with a Dobec (Techlusion) TFI tuner. It runs just fine. I let my son ride it on a trip we took and we hooked up a cigarette lighter socket direct to the battery to keep our cell phones charged. We checked the polarity and voltage with a meter prior to connecting either phone. Later in the first day of our trip we decided to connect one of the phones, the engine would crank but not fire. We unplugged the phone and the engine fired. Since we were on a long trip, we just forgot about it until I got home. I disconnected the TFI and the cell phones, GPS and everything else I could find that ran off a cigarette plug works fine and the engine starts and runs. If I reconnect the TFI, the engine will not start and my GPS won't turn on, it just flashes. I have sent Dobeck an email but they have not responded. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does anyone have any ideas? Any and all help would be appreciated.

It seems obvious that something is hooked up in the wrong place that it like your ignition when you use the lighter. Rehook the TFI and unhook the lighter and see if that works.

I guess I wasn't clear. The engine cranks, fires, runs and TFI works fine without anything plugged into the lighter socket. With ANYTHING plugged into the lighter socket, the engine will crank but not fire.

With the TFI disconnected, the engine cranks, fires, runs and accessories plugged into the socket work correctly.

No accessory plugged into the socket will work with the TFI connected and the ignition turned on.

Sounds like the wiring is crossed up for the lighter I would say as long as you followed the wiring correctly for the TFI.

Thank you for your reply. I thought I made myself clear that the wiring to the lighter socket was metered for polarity and voltage and is connected directly to the battery. The TFI unit is wired exactly as per the instructions from TFI. It has been on the bike for 1 1/2 years. I just installed the lighter socket. I am a retired low voltage electronics technician so I know how to wire and test a low voltage circuit. My contention is that there is a problem with the TFI and I posted to inquire if anyone has encountered similar problems. I also have a TFI on my Road King. I think tomorrow I will install the lighter socket on it and see if I encounter the same conflicts.

Again, thank you!

I am also awaiting a reply from Dobeck.

Be interested to see if it migrates to the other bike, Never heard of this before. Best off calling Dobeck for an answer.

Toll Free: 1-877-764-3337 (1-877-SNIFFER)
Phone: 1-406-388-2377
Chris

Last edited:
So what you are saying is that ONLY when you hook up the cigarette receptacle do you have a problem? Do you have it fused?...did you make sure the "shell was indeed negative and ONLY the center post connection positive?

Last edited:
Intersting never heard of this possible that the cig lighter is interfering with the TFI ? back feeding or something

Ok, here's what I found. I removed the accessory socket from the Sporty and connected it to my Road King. No problems whatsoever. So I called Dobeck Performance and spoke with Chris. He suggested that wherever the TFI ground was connected, frame or battery, move it to the other. Mine was grounded to the frame so I moved it to the battery and no more problems. Go figure! I guess there was some kind of back feeding problem. You would not believe the number of times I have found ground problems to be the source from my days managing fleet maintenance on 18 wheelers to commercial electronic intrusion detection. You would think I would have learned to check the ground by now!

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I hope this helps someone in the future!

Here's a little further insight provided by Chris w/Dobeck via email. I hope he won't mind my quoting him.

Awesome that is great to hear, that problem had me for a loop. I was a little confused on how that would happen. It has something to do with a common ground or the path of the electricity taking the shortest path to ground, which might have been made with the tfi. Either way it is fixed and that is what matters. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, here's what I found. I removed the accessory socket from the Sporty and connected it to my Road King. No problems whatsoever. So I called Dobeck Performance and spoke with Chris. He suggested that wherever the TFI ground was connected, frame or battery, move it to the other. Mine was grounded to the frame so I moved it to the battery and no more problems. Go figure! I guess there was some kind of back feeding problem. You would not believe the number of times I have found ground problems to be the source from my days managing fleet maintenance on 18 wheelers to commercial electronic intrusion detection. You would think I would have learned to check the ground by now!

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I hope this helps someone in the future!
Glad you found the problem and thanks for posting the solution. I don't think I would have thought of that either.

Back