free website stats program TFI/Power Commander III | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI/Power Commander III

Jimmy_k

I got the linbar installed finally (it looks Great, I'll post pics when I can),
the next thing I want to do is a stage 1 with the screamin eagle air cleaner and some new vance & hines big shot staggerds.

I'll need something to help with the fuel injection when I do that and have seen a million posts on TFIs, Power Commanders, and Fuel Paks.

After reading a lot of those, I was telling my Harley mechanic buddy that I was planning on doing the TFI with my upgrade. He said no, do the Power Commander III. I think he mostly said that because you can download maps for any combination you have and he liked the techiness of it.

TFI seems more like it would do the job to me, although I also like the ability to download maps into the Power Commander.

Here's the main question I have: If I do the Power Commander III, do I have to get it dynoed to tune it? Or is just a downloaded map sufficient.

OR, am I better off doing the TFI?

I'm doing all the work myself, and don't want to spend the $$ on dynoing if that is necessary for the PC III.

Jimmy

I went with the gen.3 TFI. The TFI is more user friendly and its plug and play. You adjust it yourself to make a custom map for your bike. No dyno needed and for a stage 1 its perfect.
Check out dobeckperformance, and electronicjetkit.:s

I think Smitty has you covered. It is a matter of personal choice based on how much "science" you want to put on your bike, and how much more modification you think you might be doing in the near future. If you are gonna run the bike like it is for a bit, the TFI allows you to add a bit more fuel along the rpm range to compensate for more air in/out. If you are gonna do cams, heads, jugs, pistons and all that stuff soon, you may want to consider the PC. That will allow you squeeze more ponies and pull out of the BEAST!! If you may be gonna do that one day, but not for a while, the TFI may be what you want for now, and then up-grade when you up-grade!!

TQ

Thanks guys. TFI it is.

I'm planning on doing this in stages, as funding becomes available (and I can get it past the wife...).

Would it make any sense to do the TFI before the air cleaner and exhaust upgrade? Would it help the stock setup at all?

Jimmy

Thanks guys. TFI it is.

I'm planning on doing this in stages, as funding becomes available (and I can get it past the wife...).

Would it make any sense to do the TFI before the air cleaner and exhaust upgrade? Would it help the stock setup at all?

Jimmy

Your stock set up is likely a bit lean. So you will get some value out of the fueler. But if you have to "stage in" your expenditures, you can do them all at once, but you don't want to do the air pump first and then wait on fuel. So if you have to stage it, do the fuel then the air pump, or AC/pipes (one or the other), fuel then the other. That seems confusing. Here are the options:
  1. Full Stage 1 all at once (AC, pipes, fuel)
  2. Fuel, then AC and pipes when you can
  3. AC, fuel then pipes
  4. Pipes, fuel then AC

Take your pick based on the pesos available.

TQ

Sounds like a good way to go. I'll plan on this order:

Fuel (TFI) -- $250-300

AC (screamin eagle?) -- $140 ?

Exhaust (v&h big shot stgrd) $5-600

Labor -- $0

Can't wait to try the TFI. I'm hoping it will smooth things out a little at low rpms as well as maybe a little more torque & hp.

Thanks for the input! Love this forum.

Jimmy

Don't forget, prior service (vets) get a super discount from the Dobeck (TFI)family. To show their appreciation for service people, they ship the device out for $150.00 + postage. Just fax em a copy of DD214 and you are good to go. I think that is a savings of about $100.00.

Here's my Stage 1 set-up.

Kuryakin Hypercharger with K&N filter.
Cobra Speedster shorts with quiet baffles.
Cobra FI2000R fueler.

Love my set-up.
This thing is scary fast!

Back