free website stats program tfi on & off | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

tfi on & off

Does anyone know what the difference between the AFR in open and closed loop is? I had heard that when in open loop the AFR goes to a richer setting.

Would like to answer the question but topic belongs out of Official Support area.

may i also add a thank you...... dobeck,,, tech ......

so if u shut off the unit do u need to remove the bypasses & plug back in the 02 sensors...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoople,

We don't have exact AFR numbers for the difference between open loop and closed loop. It is true though that in open loop mode the AFR is richer. Why? Closed loop mode is intended to help pass emissions which is optimum during a slightly lean running mixture. This is completely opposite of what creates the most power and performance.

Ultrat,

We would assume if you're shutting the unit off then you are doing a quick test to verify if the controller is causing a problem or not. You would not have to remove the bypasses. The bypasses just make the bike's ECU run off the stock map and not continually trim the fuel to match a specific AFR.

may i also add a thank you...... dobeck,,, tech ......

so if u shut off the unit do u need to remove the bypasses & plug back in the 02 sensors...

I disconnected the ground wire, reinstalled the factory AC and plugged in the O2 sensors. Worked well on our trip and got decent mileage pulling a trailer almost 7000 miles. Reversed the procedure when I got back home.

Hoople,

We don't have exact AFR numbers for the difference between open loop and closed loop. It is true though that in open loop mode the AFR is richer. Why? Closed loop mode is intended to help pass emissions which is optimum during a slightly lean running mixture. This is completely opposite of what creates the most power and performance.

Ultrat,

We would assume if you're shutting the unit off then you are doing a quick test to verify if the controller is causing a problem or not. You would not have to remove the bypasses. The bypasses just make the bike's ECU run off the stock map and not continually trim the fuel to match a specific AFR.

tx for the explaination. i just want to feel the difference or compair with & without..tfi.....

I disconnected the ground wire, reinstalled the factory AC and plugged in the O2 sensors. Worked well on our trip and got decent mileage pulling a trailer almost 7000 miles. Reversed the procedure when I got back home.

Redfish-joe what mpg did you get on your trip...

Back