free website stats program TFI is installed | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI is installed

No, I didn't find any easy way to deal with the cross-over hose. I just took it off and drained as much as I could into a jug and the rest spilled all over the bike. I am going get the Herko quick fittings and put them in the cross-over hose so the next time I want to take the tank off there won't be the draining, spilling issue. Harley put a quick fitting on the main fuel line but really went cheap when it came to the cross-over hose. :bigsmiley19:
You won't be sorry. They appear to b e a bit pricey, but pay for themselves as soon as you have to take the tank back off. I got an extra set, so I can connect up drain lines into a tank or can.

Remember not to be holding on to the collar as you reconnect the fitting. Otherwise, you will be confused to find that they will not re-latch. This is because the collar is the latch. If you hold the two fitting parts by the hose at the ends, the fitting will jump right together and latch.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Thanks for the info Rich. The cross over hose and spilled gas is the worst part about the tank removal. With the quick-tach fittings I wouldn't hesitate to remove the tank for cleaning or whatever.

You won't be sorry. They appear to b e a bit pricey, but pay for themselves as soon as you have to take the tank back off. I got an extra set, so I can connect up drain lines into a tank or can.

Remember not to be holding on to the collar as you reconnect the fitting. Otherwise, you will be confused to find that they will not re-latch. This is because the collar is the latch. If you hold the two fitting parts by the hose at the ends, the fitting will jump right together and latch.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Geezer, Ribeye,

Sounds like a good idea on the quick release for the crossover, will have to do the same next time I venture to take off the tank..thanks!!

No, I didn't find any easy way to deal with the cross-over hose. ... .. .. . I am going get the Herko quick fittings and put them in the cross-over hose so the next time I want to take the tank off there won't be the draining, spilling issue. . . . . . . :bigsmiley19:

. .. . . .. .

To anyone removing their tank, I find it so much easier if you (first ride it down at least near empty) use a siphon or one of those cheap little pumps to get most of the gas out of the tank prior. The cut a 2 liter coke bottle down the middle and glue a drain line on the far end of it with some kind of goop (let it dry previously). I also put some strips of with duct tape for strength. You can shove this in under the petcocks (between the rocker) and let the gas drain into a gas can. Always first stuff a big towel in on top of the rockers to catch any spills.

I have also used 2 large dia. plastic tubes (from Home Depot) and held both in my right hand while slipping the crossover off. When it pops off I quickly shove the crossover in one plastic tube and the other tube on the exposed petcock. The tubes are stuffed in a gas can. Then I wrap both exposed petcocks with duct tape prior to lifting the tank off since some gas will always stay in the tank and if you tilt it forward it's gonna come out.

ALSO QUESTION * Geez and RibEye I have a question.
I actually ordered a quick disconnect for mine many months ago, and when it arrived I tried to install it but no matter what length crossover tube I cut, I could not make the disconnect work without kinking the crossover tube. I finally just sent the disconnect back for a refund. There is only 4 to 5 inches between the petcocks and with 2 plus inches of disconnect there just wasn't enough distance to left to do the connect (and be able to disconnect it) without the line kinking. I didn't want to get the line too near the hot rocker.

How do you make one of these things work ?

ALSO QUESTION * Geez and RibEye I have a question.
I actually ordered a quick disconnect for mine many months ago, and when it arrived I tried to install it but no matter what length crossover tube I cut, I could not make the disconnect work without kinking the crossover tube. I finally just sent the disconnect back for a refund. There is only 4 to 5 inches between the petcocks and with 2 plus inches of disconnect there just wasn't enough distance to left to do the connect (and be able to disconnect it) without the line kinking. I didn't want to get the line too near the hot rocker.

How do you make one of these things work ?
On touring bikes, the crossover connections point directly forward, on exit from the tank. This routes the crossover tube to cross directly in front of the coil. It is therefore quite easy simply putting the quick disconnect in place of some removed tubing.

I seem to recall that there is a problem with the quick disconnect and Dynas, due to the direction the crossover connectors point on exit from the tank. I believe Herco is, or has been, working on quick disconnects with right angle inputs on them, or some other provision. I'm not sure, but you might contact him and see what he suggests...

Enjoy,
rich P

On touring bikes, the crossover connections point directly forward, on exit from the tank. This routes the crossover tube to cross directly in front of the coil. It is therefore quite easy simply putting the quick disconnect in place of some removed tubing.

I seem to recall that there is a problem with the quick disconnect and Dynas, due to the direction the crossover connectors point on exit from the tank. I believe Herco is, or has been, working on quick disconnects with right angle inputs on them, or some other provision. I'm not sure, but you might contact him and see what he suggests...

Enjoy, rich P

Thanks Ribeye I will get in touch with Herco on that. I can see that would work IF you had a 2" tank lift, otherwise it would just go into the rocker. And yes on the Dynas the bibbs (earlier called them petcocks) point directly at one another making it a real problem with flex clearance. You wouldn't happen to know an email address of Herco would you ? Is that a company name ?

Got an email back from John today on quick disconects, here is his answer.
----------------------------------
Dave
I have Crossover QD's for Touring models.
Not enough room and too tight of a fit for Dyna's and Softails.
Thanks, John
---------------------------------
So for you FL guys a quick disconnect can make tank removal a snap.

For all us Dyna guys, just keep doing what we've been doing.

Thanks for the follow up Dave but it's not what I wanted to hear. Guess they won't work on a Softail either.

Back