free website stats program TFI Installation Questions | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI Installation Questions

I'll be checkn mine , and reconfiguing if needed, tanight ! By the way, you guys are SPOT ON, the Dobeck IS the BOMB.
Thanks!

The TFI is now installed on my bike. It was pretty simple after reading all the good advice and stepping back and cooling off. All that is left to do is finish fine tuning it and wait for the rain to stop so I can try it out. Thanks everybody.

OK. To quell some of the debate here, I just called and talked to Chris at Dobeck. Based on what he told me, I am wrong in what I said below. For the plug and play TFI that fit our Delphi ignition systems, IT DOES MATTER WHICH PLUG SET YOU USE FOR EACH INJECTOR. The TFI plug set should match the HD OEM wire color scheme for that injector! As Glider pointed out above, that is:

You should see the injector wires as follows...
FRONT injector ...yellow/green stripe and white/yellow stripe.
REAR injector ...yellow/green stripe and green/grey stripe.

So you should see that same color scheme on the TFI plug set you use for the particular injector. The reason for this is the timing is different between the front and rear cylinders. So you guys that thought your rear cylinder was too rich when you had the wires reversed where right!!

So there ya go!!

Chris did mention that he was gonna join the site, so I hope he does. I warned him that we would forward all TFI questions directly to him!! :s

TQ

I do not think it matters which Dobeck injector wire pair you connect to which injector wires, but it does matter which HD OEM wire connects (through the TFI) to the front and rear. The color scheme that Glider provided above is specifying which set of wires goes to the front injector, and which goes to the back injector. That should remain the same. Just put the Dobeck connectors in series with the current setup. This is easy to do if you do them one at a time!!

TQ

Thanks for confirming that TQ. It would be really great to have Chris here for any help them members needed.

Well I thought I was almost done, Now I,m not sure which set I put on the front injector, I'll pull the connectors of the front injector when I get home in the morning. I am curious though why there is never any mention about the red wires on the TFI? One set has a single red and the other set has two red. Just curious.

Well I thought I was almost done, Now I,m not sure which set I put on the front injector, I'll pull the connectors of the front injector when I get home in the morning. I am curious though why there is never any mention about the red wires on the TFI? One set has a single red and the other set has two red. Just curious.

Chris @ dobeck told me this afternoon it is NOT the red wire or the red trace wire that should be considered, but rather the color-coded wire. That should be used to guide placement for front or rear injector.

TQ

On the unit I just got yesterday the only wire that is striped is a yellow one the rest are solid. Which one goes to the front?

Another question that might seem dumb to you guys but here it is anyway. Each line that comes off of the tfi has 2 connectors. Which connector plugs into the one thats the bike now and which one goes to the injector itself? If i'm not clear let me know and I will try and clarify.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another question that might seem dumb to you guys but here it is anyway. Each line that comes off of the tfi has 2 connectors. Which connector plugs into the one thats the bike now and which one goes to the injector itself? If i'm not clear let me know and I will try and clarify.
They will only go on one way, according to the instructions, unplug the connector on the injector and plug the TFI connector (only the correct one will fit) into the injector, then plug the connector you unplugged from the injector into the connector that's attached to the TFI connector you plugged in, repeat for the next one.

Thanks, I just got in from installing it and it was obvious, even to me. Should have looked before asking. I'm going out to test ride now. Only took about 35 min to install.

Back