free website stats program TFI for '03 Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI for '03 Ultra

horizonchaser

Contributor
At the risk of sounding foolish I need to post this for the many members that know much more than me when it comes to our bikes. Here goes, I have an '03 Ultra stage 1 with Reinhardt TD's. I get on occasion when I decel on a hill the popping sound. That bothers me. The dealer told me when I first got the bike to "enjoy it". Well I can't enjoy something that might lead to problems down the road. My questions are: Will the TFI solve that problem? Do I just set it and forget it or is it something that I have to tinker with all the time? Lastly, when all is said and done, roughly how much would it cost to oreder it and have the dealer install it? My thanks for anyone who can set me straight on this TFI dilemma. HC

horizonchaser,

Good Question.. IF you type in TFI in the "search forums" there are several that I saw that will help..

The TFI DOES a great job of UN-LEANING a motor... Almost ever body that INSTALLS Them (Easy to Install Yourself) sees right away on their first ride, The Better performance the bike Has...
As far as YOUR popping,, IT May be caused by other thing's. Type of exhaust OR TOO LEAN is the Normal thing that your bikes suffers from..

HD's are LEAN off the show room floor TOO Lean...
EPA........
The TFI will HELP any bike with a stage one and I speak of my Install of TFI with exhaust slip-ons and SE air filter for more air. AND also Later SE 255cams. No Lean condition and Bike runs Cooler and Smoother without the TFI it would Not have run properly and probably Damages to the engine and drive train would OF resulted.

The newer bikes Shut Off the fuel when OFF throttle going down hill. So POPPING is a minimum. Your bike being Older model year Probably doesn't have that feature..(i'm on thin ice here)

If you install TFI or a Gen3 from Dobecks, IT is easy to do yourself. If you need help there is enough of it to go around..DALLAS ON the Dobecks Thread here SUPPORTS all who have a question.... Many have Him on the phone LIVE while they do the install.... IT Is easy.... The INITAL setting is given for your bike and that usually is where it is needed.. The unit is a Piggy-back for the fuel injection on your HD and puts a little more gas Over the amount HD has set into it...

If you need some one else to install it for you,,,, HD may NOT want to do it Cause THEY didn't sell it to you. If that being the case , There are OTHER shops that will GLADLY install the TFI... That would be MY choice before HD.

The too Lean will be GONE and bike will run Better AND PROBABLY Not Pop.....

The unit runs about 250$$ range Less a member of HDT discount if ordered over the phone LIVE and taken off at the TFI Desk..

If you are X- or active military, fireman, police, first responders YOU Can get a WHOPPER OFF as discount... Dobecks are Great people and They do a good job of Monitoring their thread on this site for TFI questions.

Hope this Helped..

You can CALL and Talk with Dallas using the number posted Here on their thread or on their site. ALL questions will be answered BETTER there..

signed....BUBBIE

horizonchaser,

Good Question.. IF you type in TFI in the "search forums" there are several that I saw that will help..

The TFI DOES a great job of UN-LEANING a motor... Almost ever body that INSTALLS Them (Easy to Install Yourself) sees right away on their first ride, The Better performance the bike Has...
As far as YOUR popping,, IT May be caused by other thing's. Type of exhaust OR TOO LEAN is the Normal thing that your bikes suffers from..

HD's are LEAN off the show room floor TOO Lean...
EPA........
The TFI will HELP any bike with a stage one and I speak of my Install of TFI with exhaust slip-ons and SE air filter for more air. AND also Later SE 255cams. No Lean condition and Bike runs Cooler and Smoother without the TFI it would Not have run properly and probably Damages to the engine and drive train would OF resulted.

The newer bikes Shut Off the fuel when OFF throttle going down hill. So POPPING is a minimum. Your bike being Older model year Probably doesn't have that feature..(i'm on thin ice here)

If you install TFI or a Gen3 from Dobecks, IT is easy to do yourself. If you need help there is enough of it to go around..DALLAS ON the Dobecks Thread here SUPPORTS all who have a question.... Many have Him on the phone LIVE while they do the install.... IT Is easy.... The INITAL setting is given for your bike and that usually is where it is needed.. The unit is a Piggy-back for the fuel injection on your HD and puts a little more gas Over the amount HD has set into it...

If you need some one else to install it for you,,,, HD may NOT want to do it Cause THEY didn't sell it to you. If that being the case , There are OTHER shops that will GLADLY install the TFI... That would be MY choice before HD.

The too Lean will be GONE and bike will run Better AND PROBABLY Not Pop.....

The unit runs about 250$$ range Less a member of HDT discount if ordered over the phone LIVE and taken off at the TFI Desk..

If you are X- or active military, fireman, police, first responders YOU Can get a WHOPPER OFF as discount... Dobecks are Great people and They do a good job of Monitoring their thread on this site for TFI questions.

Hope this Helped..

You can CALL and Talk with Dallas using the number posted Here on their thread or on their site. ALL questions will be answered BETTER there..

signed....BUBBIE
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question Bubbie. You were a big help n my decision making. I have read that others are very satisfied with their TFI's and that peaked my interest. Also, the fact that it may very well stop the popping is a strong point in me getting one. I didn't know about the HDTimeline discount so that'll save me some $$ when it comes time to buy it. Knowing that Dallas will work with me or a friend, "live" while installing it is reassuring.
Last week, after years of being a voyeur on HDTimeline I finally became a contributor and donated. I think it was because of guys like yourself who help me and countless others that finally made me say that this site is worth it! Many thanks.

Can't go wrong with the TFI. Your decel popping could be as a result of an exhaust leak too. Check all the connections and make sure the slits in the pipe where it slides over the other pipe are totally closed up (on far enough).

Muffler Leaks - Harley Davidson Community
Thanks Glider. I just called my dealer and asked about a Dyno Tune, which they don't do, so they gave me a phone # to a machine shop. I just now got off the phone with him and they deal only in the Power Commander. Well, I trust this site ( and your opinion) and asked them about the Doebeck TFI and they said they never heard of it. ? Maybe I pronounce it wrong like Doe beck. He said that the Power Commander would make a big difference in the decell popping. I hadn't thought about what you just said about making sure the entire exhaust is sealed tightly. So, in summary, I will eventually go with the TFI but do I need it Dyno Tuned or will I ( and the help of Dallas at Doebeck according to Bubbie) be able to just install it and be good to go?
BTW he said to purchase and install and Dyno the Power Commander is around $680. Yikes!

With the TFI, there's no need to dyno tune. It comes with the instructions for installation and setup with suggested settings for your options. From there you can tweak it a bit more or less. It's a no brainer to install and also to set up.

The dealers will tell you they never heard of the TFI because there's no dyno time $$$ in it for them and the installation is that easy to do.

The DOBECKS TFI , After it is Installed You OR a friend, helping, can Put a small screw-driver on Pot one and fine adjust it at 2000 RPM..
Then it is SET for the duration of your bike UNLESS you modify the intake or exhaust again...
Then all that is needed is to re-adjust (pot one) as Necessary..

SETTINGS= Using a small screwdriver to set the Suggested settings OR the ones Dallas will give you for your bike will Be Really Close and most of the time Right on....Setting set before you install and EASY to set or re-set after the install....
After all is said and done, IT Will run Better..

You said that the dealer said nothing wrong with you bike....

YES being Lean (stock) will make a Modified exhaust POP.. on de-cel
mostly because of the Less back-pressure and the NEED for a little more fuel.... We are Just being Careful here BARING other problems with your bike.. TFI should Cure the problem....

You will like the FEEL of your bike with the TFI installed.(.)

Thanks for the kind words for the Many who DO devote a LOT of their time to answer questions FREELY and the support you give to this site Does Make A Difference.. Thank You.:D

signed....BUBBIE

What you may consider doing is to hook it up and leave enough wire to use a piece of stick on velcro either on the air cleaner cover or the tank console. It makes it much easier to tinker with it so you don't have to pull the seat all the time.
I put mine on the air cleaner.
When you get it where you want it, pull the seat and install the box.

You guys are the best! I am definitely going to go ahead with the TFI. The price isn't going to put me in the poorhouse. And I'm glad Glider mentioned that the bike doesn't have to go on a Dyno. When I do purchase it, and get it installed I'll be sure to post it and the progress that I made. Again, my thanks. Have a great weekend!

Back