free website stats program TFI for 03 Ultra ((Continued OFF Dobecks post)) | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI for 03 Ultra ((Continued OFF Dobecks post))

BUBBIE

propflux01,,,

From the conversations we had earlier on the TFI answered by Dobecks..
(where we should not have been) SO,,,Brought over here to respond further..::::::::::::::::

Things known and found out about your bike..

Gear drive cams already installed
Improved Air type already installed
after mkt Exhaust installed

I really think your bike is set up "fully on stage one" and maybe ? on stage two.... or a good start with Gear cams

You found Gear cams in your bike and didn't Know what cams but Gear drives.. Big BONUS (? part of stage two)

Then as we were going around over on Dobecks Thread, you mentioned that the football air cover is NOT hooked into the stock air unit, and you can see the air filter..
This tells me that you have an after market or HD air unit already in place, another Big BONUS.. SO you don't need one like suggested before we knew this was already there......

I asked earlier IF you have No popping and bike runs good,(go try) IF IT DOES,You MIGHT also have a tuner of some type ALREADY in PLACE..

I suggested you take it back to the sales department and ask a few questions that they should be able to answer for US... "Does it have a tuner?"

If a knowledgeable person takes a LOOK at what you have (where you bought it), They MIGHT or should be able to see IF you have a Visible tuner installed...
From Here I can't be of much help, it would take another Mechanic type to SEE IF it is there...
Too involved to do it from here..

I doubt IF the bike you bought WITH all these upgrades found on it at this time would Not have a tuner in place..

The previous owner put a lot of parts and $$$ in the bike and now instead of a stock bike with exhaust, you are pretty close to a stage two from what I can tell....

If you find runability problems like Popping out the exhaust , it may still need the TFI... IF no tuner is found...

Now IF you find a tuner on the bikeI would NOT be surprised..

LOOK first then get back to this thread..

signed....BUBBIE

No, there is no decel popping at all. There is a slight "gurgling" when compression slowing off the throttle. There is no kind of fueler on I that I have been able to find. Nothing in-line on the ECM, no 'out of place" wires that I can find. No strange "black boxes" on it. Plugs do not look "rich" at all. I had thought maybe it had a reflash on the ECM or something similar, but cannot tell.
As for its purchase, the guy I bought it from is a wholesaler, who does ride, and is somewhat knowledgeable about the bikes. He buys from and sells to other dealers. The Bike came to him from a Nissan dealer to whom a guy traded it on a car. He then sold it to me. Apparently something soured in the trade deal with the Nissan dealer, and thats why he (origina owner) wont return the attempts made at contact.
I have pulled off both covers and seat, replaced battery, and do not see any kind of add on item.

With all that said, I'd go for the TFI... If it was a Re-flashed as you say, the RPM would be about the only change and a Little more fuel added at WOT..
I would think the TFI would Improve the bike over all..

Unless others have a suggestion , that is where I would go from here... The TFI will Help to gain a little more power and give fuel where you are Lean..
Let us Know How the TFI works for you if you go that direction..:D

I don't know how these Mufflers should act, so the gurgle might be normal.

signed....BUBBIE

I am guessing this sounds like I good plan then. I am hoping it would help the passing issue as well.

As for the pipes, I have heard HD's sound like this before, but it started happening when I took off teh V&H slip ons and installed the Carriage Works pipes. Both are pretty much a straight through design, so I just think its a trait of the pipes themselves.

Back